Need help IDing an old tune from the 70s (I think)

A couple months ago, I went to a bar to listen to a friend play his harp. He had a flautist with him and sang this song. It was very familiar to me; I think it might be an old love song from the 70s or possibly some sort of hippie folk tune. I’ve been looking for the original version because I want to find all the lyrics. (My friend made a dedication with this song and I’m trying to figure out how the song was relevant to what he said in his dedication.)

Anyway, I managed to capture the song on my voice recorder app on my phone, but there’s a lot of background noise. My google fu is letting me down. Whenever I search on just the lyrics, I come up with a bunch of songs that aren’t this one.

So all I’ve got are snippets of lyrics. What was this song, who was the artist, and where can I find the lyrics? Anyone?

The main chorus starts with
“Oh baby let your hair down
Listen to my magic sound…”

Another one starts with
“Oh baby let your hair down
Listen to the sweet sounds…”

I think the title is “Let your hair down” but Google gives up nothing that has the rest of the lyrics…

There’s a couple more lines that are garbled on my voice recorder.

Here’s another snippet of a later verse:

“Oh baby have a glass of wine
Just forget about the time
You and I were meant to be
Oh my darling can’t you see?”

Driving. Me. Crazy. What is this song?

I wish you would call your friend and ask them what the song is.

And then come here and post the answer, because now it’s driving ME crazy!!

This can’t be it but off the top off my head the Rooftop singers had a #1 song with “Walk Right In.”

It’s kind of a folk/hippie type tune.

That tune actually dates from the 1920’s. Gus Cannon wrote and recorded it first.

I can’t call him because he’s more like a “friend” I wanted to date, but he’s made it clear that he’s not interested. So a phone call would be awkward.

I don’t think it’s the Gus Cannon song because I can find all the lyrics to that, and it ain’t the same tune.

This must be really obscure because I thought for sure that my fellow Dopers would have this answered in about fifteen minutes. Funny, it sounded familiar to me at the time, so I didn’t think it was an obscure song at all.

Is there any possibility that your friend actually wrote the song?

If you have it recorded, post it somewhere for us to listen to; maybe the melody will be familiar to one of us.

There’s always that possibility.
I managed to get a very dirty recording (lots of background noise, including a conversation I had in the middle of the song, glasses clinking, people chattering) on the voice recording app on my iPhone… but no idea how to say, download it to an MP3 and post it somewhere.

Anyone know how to do that?

Yes … a PM is heading your way.

And far, far better.

Fucking baby boomers.

Baby boomers? Erik Darling, the leader of the group, was born in 1933.

Agree that their version of the song was execrable.

And, furthermore, the Rooftop Singers released their version of the song in 1962. No Baby Boomer was getting songs on the charts in 1962. The oldest Baby Boomer was 16 at the time.

I was old enough in the late 1960’s to listen to radio a lot, and nobody by that point considered “Walk Right In” to be a hip song. It was considered to be one of the songs that was popular back during the period sometimes known (for some odd reason) as the Great Folk Scare, the late 1950’s and the early 1960’s. Folk music was still somewhat popular among adults, but teenagers thought of that kind of music as distinctly old-fashioned.

Fair enough, but he marketed his version to baby boomers, according to their aesthetic standards.

At least we agree that version sucks.

OK, I concede it’s less of an issue of baby boomer aesthetics. My principal point is that the RTS’s version sucks, while Gus Cannon was a gem.