I’m looking for the name of (and the webpage about) a truly horrible sci-fi author. I’ve been to the page before, but too long ago to still be in my history. I’m pretty sure I learned about this guy here on the SDMB. Here are the salient details:
- He produced over 100 books, but he never actually wrote, just dictated them into a tape recorder which was later transcribed by secretaries. He did this in a darkened room with a sheet over his head.
- This method produced unintentionally hilarious results, including dramatic shifts in the story, characters dying only to reappear when the author forgot that he had killed them off, atrocious misspellings, etc.
- He was paid by his publisher to write books of fixed length. If a book was going too long, he would wrap it up in a couple pages with an out-of-nowhere deux ex machina ending. If it was too short, he would add in filler material, including one story where he described for two pages how the main character brushed her teeth.
- One particularly bad line went something like: “It was dark. Black. Pitch black. Blackest darkness. All dark. Black. Dark. Dark.”
- I believe he was British, but I’m not 100% sure.
Somehow I remember all this but not his name! Help is much appreciated. Thank you.