Need your input on hotels in Iowa

We’re going to the fair!!! Mr2U has agreed to take me to see the butter cow lady and the magnificent scuplture, food on a stick, and the other wonders of the Iowa State Fair!

Since I know nothing of Iowa other than an inkling that it’s somewhere in the midwest and even that is largely a guess, are there any Iowans (or DesMoines-ians??) that can give me an idea where the fair is, or what neighborhood or approximate streets we should looking for a hotel in? I tried the website for the fair, but their link for lodging asks me what area I am interested in and since I don’t KNOW what area, I am turning to you all for help. You all are, after all, the folks that told me about this to begin with. :smiley:

One last try…

The state fairgrounds are on the south side of Des Moines, but most of the hotels are on the north and west sides of the city.

I’d guess most of the hotels near the fairgrounds are already booked solid, so finding a hotel room this late in the game may be a bit difficult.

If you’re not absolutely set on staying in Des Moines itself, I’d suggest getting a hotel in an outlying town if you don’t mind driving a few (20-30) miles to get to the fair. I’d recommend a hotel in Prairie City, about 15 miles out, a very simple drive to the fairgrounds (take Highway 163/University Avenue from Prairie City straight to the fairgrounds).

Don’t park on at the fairgrounds, most of the locals will allow you to park in their yards and save a few bucks if you don’t mind walking a bit (and since you’re going to be walking around the fairgrounds all day anyway, what’s an extra 2 or 3 blocks?)

Many thanks!!

Last year I had to pay more to park in a yard than I would have paid to park in the parking lots.
They do run a bus from the ( free ) parking lot of the capitol building to the fair grounds entrances.
Have loads of fun while you are visiting the Iowa State Fair.