Neil Young's "lost" Homegrown album finally released

To summarize - The album consists of material recorded between June 1974 and January 1975. The album was recorded after the release of On the Beach and before the sessions for Zuma. The album was compiled and prepared for release in 1975. Instead, Tonight’s the NIght was released in its place, and the Homegrown remained unreleased for decades.

Not only unreleased but never bootlegged. I have a few Neil bootlegs, none of these songs are on them. He kept them in the vault, because they were too personal. The album does include Star of Bethleham and Love is a Rose, released on Decade. Taking the album as a whole, it is good. It is very good, better than I hoped it would be.

It is free on the Neil Young archives site, which is a model site for other artists.

ETA. did not have to summarize, it’s right there in the OP. Love the new site. However, what if I didn’t want that first paragraph to appear, how would I only show later paragraphs. Well, simply copy and paste I guess and then post the link.

The album is also on Spotify. Some of the songs have been released elsewhere and some with other recordings. But overall, I love it. Not sure about Florida though…I hit skip too soon to figure out what’s going on there.

Here is the first official music video from the album:

It is not free. LPs are $23, CDs are $14. There is no digital download version available that I can see.

Usually new stuff is available for a week or so.

10 disc Archives Vol 2 now out, free for the rest of the month. Merry Christmas to you too, Neil

New membership option recently added. For about $3 a month, you get access to everything he has ever put up on the site. Previously, some videos would only be available for a week or so. At least a dozen concert videos, including the complete Greendale show.

I was fortunate enough to see this in 2003 at MSG. Call it a “concept concert”, he plays the album with actors on stage and on a video screen above the stage playing the characters in the album. Goddamn brilliant.

The only negative I can see, is that unlike the basic membership, you can’t subscribe by the month, got to pay the $39.99 up front

Here is the first song of the show. “A little love and affection, in everything you do/Will make the world a better place, without or without you”
Now that is a philosophy of life.