Never thought I'd pit SNL (probably lame but I must vent)

[Sgt Hulka]

Lighten up Francis!

[/Sgt Hulka]

But your name is arky. Well, since you asked so nicely I will not call you arky, Smegbot

And you, sir, are a cheese danish.

The origin of my username is explained here.

I heard jelly donut. :smiley:

If you think JB looks like Meatloaf, put the pipe down and back away slowly.

I have to agree with the OP. Jack Black is not funny. He’s just annoying and loud. Okay, I’ll admit he’s good when he does musical skits (like the telemarketer sketch at the end) but he should stick to that. And why the hell do so many people like plain Jane John Mayer??? There’s absolutely nothing memorable about his music; its just your generic country/pop easy listening.

I like Jack Black, but he’s no John Belushi. It amazes me to think that SNL is older than some of its performers. When I saw the first show, hosted by George Carlin, I didn’t expect it to last long; now it’s been 28 years.

Which brings up the question: does everybody connected with the show have the ability to do simple arithmetic? The show premiered in the Fall of 1975. In the Fall of 1999, they had their 25th anniversary show. How did that happen?

He was very funny in High Fidelity, and convinced me he had some talent. I’m starting to think that was a product of good writing more than anything else.

I guess people always love the hyperactive fatass. “Why” absolutely befuddles me. I found Chris Farley incredibly unfunny, and since he quit/died, SNL has always had at least one fat guy on to try and replace him. Farley was always a poor man’s Belushi - even the way he DIED was a ripoff of Belushi. I rest my case. :wink:

When I find out Jack Black is going to be on any show, I always look forward to it because you never know what he’ll do. Whenever there’s a musical number, it’s hilarious. But some of the other, non-musical stuff he does (like MTV’s Diary, for instance) leaves me with my head cocked like a confused dog.

I agree with Miller that his role in High Fidelity was great. I think I enjoyed it for the simple fact that it was like watching my brother on the screen. He’s a music snob. He has the same mannerisms (scary, eh?) and the unusual excitement about things like making the perfect mix tape for the right moment. Jack Black (even aside from that role) is an only slightly amped-up version of my brother. Oh, and he also says “sucks ass” a lot.

About last night’s show: I totally predicted the Arnold thing–who didn’t? I also knew it would suck. Boring and a terrible impression of him. I expected better of Darrell Hammond last night. He does a great Chris Matthews and Bill Clinton. Oh well.

I got seven words for ya: Don’t. Stick. Your. Dick. In. These. Holes.

I was a Jack Black loather prior to one crystallizing event: the Conan O’Brien 10-year tribute show.

Black’s got stage presence (despite the fact that he’s doughy and honestly looks like he’s been playing D&D for 14 years straight), and is actually a talented musician. I don’t know how much of him I can stand in a feature – Shallow Hal was putrid – but in small doses he’s a good guy. Wish I’d seen the SNL.

SNL ceased being even marginally entertaining in the 80s. It currently most resembles the disjointed skits that preteen boys might make up while smoking stolen cigs and drinking warm beer (swiped when dad wasn’t looking), out behind the barn.

Of course, I’m not at all surprised by that given the entertainment industry’s lack of integrity/originality/work ethic.

Sorry, I just don’t get Jack Black, although I have to admit the “bass-off” sketch he did with Will Ferrell on a previous episode was pretty funny. SNL is a shadow of its former self, but I still watch it out of habit. I thought the opening Schwartzenegger bit was hilarious, though.

BTW, I notice a lot of people claiming that SNL was SO GREAT in the 70s, and sucked after that. Well, you can still catch repeats of it from the 70s, and believe me - they had plenty of stinker sketches. And remember how they used to pan the camera to an audience member and put a “clever” message at the bottom of the screen. My God, that was lame! I think they finally realized how lame it was, because they eventually just stopped doing it. IMO, the show peaked in the 80s & 90s.

I think that for just about everybody, the time when SNL started going down hill was about the time that staying up past midnight and smoking reefer with your buddies stopped being a big deal.

I love me them honry sluts. :smiley:

Kyle did make an appearance at the beginning. While Jack was running around singing, he runs into Kyle backstage and Jack Black autographs his guitar as if he were some unknown groupie.

I like Jack Black. Where do I sign up for this SS group?

(However the show itself made me say meh. And am I the only one who thinks that at this point even John Belushi himself–if he were alive today–wouldn’t live up to some people’s memory of John Belushi?)

I am now thirty years old. I started watching SNL when I was fourteen. For sixteen years I have heard how the show is going steadily downhill. It must be a really slow descent.

I actually think that Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon are reasonably funny. There have been times when it truly stunk, but the producers seem to do a decent job of fixing what’s broken and keeping the show funny. For instance, I would rank the fairly recent Celebrity Jeopardy skits as the funniest in SNL history.

I think the cast is too big. They need to trim it down to a more tightnit group: Jimmy, Amy, Horatio, Tina, Rachel, Maya, Seth (Yeah, yeah we could fight about that all day :wink: ).

Next do more current event type sketches. My favourite sketch from last year was from an article in US weekly: a britney/justin dance off.

Thirdly, write, um, funnier stuff…lol. I dunno much about their writers but they need some fresh meat in there!

I’ve noticed it’s funnier if I have someone to watch it with & we all have a little to drink. :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, the chardonnay = hard on bit. And the bit where Jimmy Fallon is supposed to say Tigger but they have “technical difficulties”.

Instant classic.

I like Jack Black too.

The only other thing I’d like to add is, Tina Fey…RAWR!