Never thought I'd pit SNL (probably lame but I must vent)

Hmm…

Seems a lot of you like Jack Black.

Some of you seem to largely agree with my OP.

Everybody seems to like Tina Fey.

Anybody know what happened to Tina Fey’s face?

Oh, and I’m a recent Jack Black convert, in case anyone’s checking.

As I was watching the lame opening sketch, I wasreading this article from MSNBC, and couldn’t help but nod sadly in agreement.

I want to watch SNL, I want to laugh, but jeez, they gotta give me a reason to come back again.

I stuck out Saturday’s episode to the bitter end, and I think the sketch that made me laugh the most was the wine spitting. Even the telemarketers song was funnier than the earlier crap, most notably the “Wade Robson Project” spoof. It’s like they try too hard to be funny with the stupid impressions and spoofs, and fall flat. It’s the post-12:30 stuff that usually makes me laugh because it’s more laid back and doesn’t try as hard.

Happy

She’s o.k., but I’ll take Maya Rudolph, thank you very much.

Actually, the 2 of them making out wouldn’t be too bad, either;)

P.S. - Y’all quit dissing the opening sketch just because you’re Republicans. It was funny; you only hated it because they were making fun of the guy you like.

It’s being dissed because the premise wore thin after one minute. The punchline was that the only kind of plan Arnie had was spewing soundbites and stating the obvious. Unfortunately they repeated the punchline five times…in a long, drawn out fashion.

I try to avoid Jack Black any chance I get. He’s just NOT funny. In Hi Fidelity, he was funny, but that was 4 years ago and he hasn’t been that funny since then.

His music sucks almost as bad as his stand-up routine.

Sam

The Tenacious D album has sketches with JB and Kyle. They’re pretty funny, because it’s mainly Jack fucking with Kyle in some way shape or form. Like when Jack smacks off about how he invented “inward singing” and Kyle shows a little skepticism, and Jack goes ballistic on him for daring to doubt his word.

I think that’s what it’s like to be friends with Jack Black. He’ll call you up, and in the middle of the conversation, tell you “I love you” and act all crazy if you don’t say you love him back. He constantly tries to fuck with your head. You’ll either end up killing him or liking him.

Instead of SNL, you should watch Mad TV.

They did their own Queer Eye skit and it was really funny.

“Bravo. Just like A&E, but for homos.” :slight_smile:

When I’m home on a Sat, I usually start out with Mad Tv and when that’s over, switch to SNL. After the fake news (which is GREAT!), I usually turn off TV and surf.

Oh yes, glad someone brought up MadTV. I used to hate MadTV but recently it has become really quite good.

Ah, where’s In Living Color?

Back to the thread’s point…

I couldn’t watch it anymore after Weekend Update.

The hair/chef bit was painful…the monologue was dreadful and everything in between blew (including the Smigel cartoon which is usually funny).

I think they should shorted the show down to 60 minutes and focus more on character development rather than these skits that seem to last far too long for their own good.

What do you remember about old (re: Good) SNL seasons? The memorable characters. Land Shark, Coneheads, Church Lady, Mary Catherine what’s her name…the stoned college kids…Ladies Man…

SNL has always been hit or miss. Watch some of those old shows on Comedy Central sometimes, even the “classic” 70’s shows have painfully unfunny skits. And that’s even after being edited to 60 minutes, which they should do anyway as Mr Obvious said.

For my money, the early 90’s SNL with Hartman, Myers, Carvey, Farley, et al is by far the best era. Of course, that’s likely becasue that period coincides with my living in an off-campus house with 7 roommates and watching it after about 15 beers.

They’ve been doing that since the 70s.

Well, sometimes repeating the punchline actually works. I remember a sketch (they did it twice, actually), in which Rob Schneider was the proprietor of a boutique that sold wood carvings. One customer after another asked him about the history and significance of each item; when they got to asking him “What’s it for?” he would invariably say, “Oh, you put your WEED in there!” Just something about the way he said it, and the fact that he had the exact same inflection every time, cracked me up.

A few years later, Conan O’Brien hosted, and there was a sketch in which he played a superhero called “Moleculo: The Molecular Man!” And that was the whole premise: every time someone said “Moleculo”, O’Brien would turn to the camera and screech “The Molecular Maaaaaaaan!” Whether he was in or out of superhero mode. Which made it difficult to preserve the civilian disguise. And again, he used the exact same inflection every time, and at one point, jumped through a false wall in order to face the camera foursquare.

El hombre de los moleculos!

I hope they laid Brian fellows and Versache (spelled wrong I know) to rest.

[Homer Simpson banging on TV set]
Be more funny!
[/Homer]

Saw an OLD Belushi/Ackroyd/Curtin episode 2 few weeks ago…not real funny. It sure broke me up when it first aired, what’s the deal with that?

Best parts the last few years:
Brian Fellowes
The Ambiguously Gay Duo

Versace sketches suck. They should do more of the fake commercials (e.g. Oops I Crapped My Pants) and less of the Spoofs Of Shows Nobody Who Doesn’t Have Cable Has Ever Seen. To be fair, I thought the coneheads sucked too. Jane Curtin was good in that one where she interviews the guy who sells unsafe Haloween costumes.

The recent leather store/snakes episode was so damn funny the comedians themselves started cracking up!

http://www.bondcliff.net/content.mv?file=tinafey

ha ha ha