New house! We have a closing date FINALLY!!

I thought I would never own a home again after the mess my divorce left behind. **I am so excited! **

I know no one here probably cares but I need to let it out somewhere, my cow-worker are probably ready to duct tape my mouth shut. At least here you can just exit the thread and get away from my ramblings :smiley:

Two bathrooms! No more standing in line to pee in my own home!
Fenced yard! My dogs can run till they pass out!
Dishwasher! Do I even have to explain?
Central air! I can have sex on hot nights again!

I think I’ve died and gone to heaven. Although there is that pesky mortgage payment, and I will have to find a new job since the move involves relocating.

But who cares? I have TWO bathrooms!! :smiley:

Oh, the joy of 2 bathrooms!!

Congrats!

My lovely bride El Perro Fumando and I are closing on our first townhouse July 10, immediately after returning from our honeymoon, so I share your excitement.

But I’m a little jealous of two bathrooms. The place we fell in love with (and could afford) only has one. But we are only two people, and the basement is roughed in when I want to be all manly and improve it.

Do people really live without dishwashers nowadays? Amazing!

When we started house hunting, we made a two column list: Must have/Prefer

Two bathrooms and a fence were my must haves, the two car garage was my husbands. We are fortunate to live in a state with fairly low housing costs, so finding what we wanted on our faily meager budget was pretty easy.

And yes, sadly, I have been dishwasher-less since my divorce almost 5 years ago :frowning: …but not much longer baby!!

And congrats to you and your bride on your new place!!

Congrats, Stillwell Angel, on your new home. Few things say “I belong” more than knowing you can paint the walls purple without asking anyone’s permission. “My place” have to be two of the most beautiful words in the English language.

As for Only Mostly Dead ** wanting to finish out the basement: Dude, I hope you’ve done a basement or two before. 'Cuz if not, you’re in for some brutal surprises. During my first finish-the-basement project, my wife quickly learned to judge the three levels of carpentry screw-ups, based on the expletives she heard coming from the project area, and her best response to them. “Oh, crap!” meant something needed to be quickly undone, re-positioned and redone – no response on her part. “Son. Of. A. Bitch!” meant it was time to run to the home improvement center to buy a new whatever. She needed to have the credit card ready. And "Oh, my f***g God!" meant it was time to call a contractor. Her response was to be absent for several hours.

I’m SO establishing this as a policy in my house!

My wife usually just hides at the opposite ends of the house, just to be safe, when there are manly home-repair projects to be done.

Eli

When I was a wee lad, I helped my father finish the basement of their home. I did a fair bit of carpentry work for an 11 year old, and in the years since, have gotten significantly more experience on weekend warrior carpentry.

That being said, I’m definitely still going to call in contractors for any room division framing I want to put in. I’m fairly resourceful and a quick learner, but I’m not stupid.

When my wife and I bought our house there were only the two of us and we had THREE bathrooms; I joked about getting a catheter and 40 feet of hose just so we could use them all at once. Now, 4 years later, there are 5 of us here, so I guess you can never have too many bathrooms.

Absolutely. The best part is that one of those bathrooms is attached to the master bedroom. IT"S MINE I SAY! ALLLLLLLL MINE! BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Congrats! Scary, ain’t it?

I’m closing on my house in 13 days. I can’t believe I’m spending so much money- and it’s not stopping there. I need to have a fence built, and I need a new fridge, and I need blinds, and I need to install gutters, and I need to install an attic ladder…

Jeez, the list just goes on and on.

Fortunately this house was owned by a meticulous elderly couple, the damn thing looks brand spanking new from foundation to roof. It’s actually 30 years old but you’d never know it. We could have saved money buying a fixer-upper, but I was afraid we’d never get around to the fixing up part. ;). This way, we have quite a few years before anything gets shoddy enough to need repaired/replaced.

As for the appliances, the aforementioned meticulous elderly couple are moving into an assisted living complex, so they are leaving all the appliances with the house. We really, reallylucked out in this deal. :cool: