New nonstick cookware--handwash only--some questions

We were gifted* a new cookware set.** It’s non-stick, but not dishwasher safe. I am a little confused about the care instructions. I wonder if you guys can shed light on them. Also, I’m interested in the question of what the effects of failing to follow these instructions would be. And finally, I’m interested in knowing what would happen if I stuck these things in the dishwasher anyway.

The instructions read as follows:

So here are some questions.

1. What if I don’t season it? What’s seasoning for?

2. Is this actually telling me that after each use, I should wash it, then season it, then wash it again? If so, why?

3. What if I seasoned it but didn’t subsequently rewash?

4. What do you suppose will happen if I just put these things in the dishwasher after all?

*My wife was actually present to pick out the cookware set, but decided against the dishwasher safe ones due to aesthetics and certain monetary considerations.

**If it matters or if you’re interested, this is the set.

1. What if I don’t season it? What’s seasoning for?

If it is, for all intents and purposes, Teflon-coated, the seasoning doesn’t help much. Calphalon, for example.

1. Is this actually telling me that after each use, I should wash it, then season it, then wash it again? If so, why?

I’d say that this is just poorly worded… they wanted you to wash and season it before the first use, then after each subsequent use.

1. What if I seasoned it but didn’t subsequently rewash?

You’re fine.

1. What do you suppose will happen if I just put these things in the dishwasher after all?

Automatic dishwasher detergents contain micro-scrubby pellets which work just fine in the long run at taking coatings off of pretty much anything (it’s kind of their purpose…). They also work really well over the long term at dulling knife edges.

I have a one-quart hard-anodized Calphalon pan that I put in the dishwasher years ago. The non-stick coating on the inside seems fine, but the outside surface was discolored. I still use it, though.

It just says “hard anodized.”
I think I’ll just be a good boy and season it like it says, but I, like you, doubt it really makes much of a difference.

We always end up having to run the dishwasher twice a day anyway so maybe handwashing these things will save us from that necessity and the convenience/inconvenience balance will remain the same.