New Siamese Kitten

I don’t know where the colorpoint (which is heat-sensitive pigmentation - the cooler parts turn color; as they age and the heart slows down, more area cools) genes came from, but I give absolutely no credence to the idea that Siamese are from Siam (Thailand), or that Himalayans are from the mountains. And what about the Sphinx? Where did that one come from :smiley:

It’s a riddle.

But they are:

"The pointed cat known in the West as ‘Siamese’, recognized for its distinctive markings, is one of several breeds of cats from Siam described and illustrated in manuscripts called ‘Tamra Maew’ (Cat Poems), estimated to have been written from the 14th to the 18th century. In 1878, U.S. President Rutherford B. Hayes received the first documented Siamese to reach the United States, a cat named ‘Siam’ sent by the American Consul in Bangkok. In 1884, the British Consul-General in Bangkok, Edward Blencowe Gould (1847–1916), brought a breeding pair of the cats, Pho and Mia, back to Britain as a gift for his sister, Lilian Jane Gould (who, married in 1895 as Lilian Jane Veley, went on to co-found the Siamese Cat Club in 1901)."

I’ll be damned - there IS at least one documented case of Truth in Advertising!

Astounding.

Well, one of the things that has been most consistent in our research on Siamese cats is that they came from Siam (now Thailand) originally. Apparently, they were the cats that guarded temples (although how one would have managed this feat and what it looked like pragmatically, I cannot begin to picture). The unsubstantiated rumor is that there were 4 cats on each pillar of the king’s 4 poster bed who would attack intruders (:dubious:). At any rate, I’ve found dates about when they were introduced to England, and by whom, so I think that part is pretty much true–not that it matters because “baby girl” is as cute as a button and that’s all that counts! hee heee!! :wink:

That’s a new one on me.

That’s really a new one on me. Although I admit to not having paid much attention to local cat lore.

I’ve heard “cats guarding temple” on either Siamese of Burmese - I’m still working out just how a 10 pound cat would be an effective guard.

And perched on a bedpost? Maybe while the king was looking…

Siamese cats? How does being conjoined at the hip with your twin qualify you to guard a temple?

It works pretty well for the Cerberus triplets.

I’m not much of a dog person, but isn’t this a bad idea if you’re worried about not being here? My understanding is that, while people do it, it’s not really appropriate to get a dog if the house is going to regularly be empty.

wtf no pics for a couple of weeks???:confused:

:mad:

that’s a long time to wait

:stuck_out_tongue:

Be sure to kitten proof and hide all chewable power cords.

At 8 weeks, few power cords are in danger. Wouldn’t hurt to spray them with anti-cat sprays. Much more effective if cat learns “that hurts” than “displeases humans”. They can’t be trusted when your back is turned. Cat is not allowed on food prep surfaces. WHILE I WAS FILLING HER BOWL - 4’ AWAY! she hops onto the table and starts watching the street. She’s getting blatant about it.

Rubber bands, however should not even exist in a kitten’s world - they will bounce around when swatted and be quite chewy. Lengths of string under a foot also qualify for banishment.

I am in rescue and am generally not in favor of any breeding, let alone backyard breeding, but I am not here to pick fights. :wink:

Just a note regarding litter…clumping is great for older kittens and cats, but I would use regular clay or newspaper pellet litter until 5-6 months or so. Smaller kittens can inhale/ingest the small granules of clumping litter so it’s best to avoid that possibility. You should have two litter boxes, as cats often like to pee in one and poop in the other. Scoop at least daily. Agree on the rubber bands and string, and watch ribbon on gifts and dental floss in waste baskets.

Have fun with your new kitten! I’m sure it’s adorable!

When I was growing up, everyone in my family, and I mean everyone, had siamese cats. I own a bengal now but I still miss my smart, talkative, cross-eyed siamese. Over the span of about 25-30 years I have to say that the nicest cats in the family were the ones who had a buddy. The few who were only kitties were not very nice cats. I don’t know if that is a siamese thing or not…just my experience.

I don’t think it’ll be a problem, really. The puppy will be coming towards the end of April. My Partner is the dog person so I’m going to let her ‘ride point’ on this one. Also, she drives a school bus, so the house will pretty much only be empty of humans for a couple of hours in the a.m. and a couple/three hours in the afternoon. I’ve got several friends who have dogs (sometimes two) and they all work as well, and leave the pups at home. :slight_smile:

Will send pics tomorrow (if I can figure out this system). We went out to see our 'lil cutie over the weekend and now she has a name: Drea (DRAY-uh). There’s supposed to be an accent over the A. Anyhow, we pick her up this coming Saturday (Mar. 1). Can’t wait!

Workin’ on it! We also plan to put orange peels in the places we don’t want her to be. Will probably take Friday off to work on the house a bit more…Any other kitten planning advice?

Good points about the rubber bands, litter, etc. Interesting about the litter though: The nurse at the local vet told me she and her mom actually FOUND a kitten 'round Xmas–someone had left it in a mailbox can you believe it? Anyway, she said she used the newspaper pellets and that it was a huge mistake–a godawful mess and she changed to clumping. Drea is coming from a home that’s already got her on Tidy Cat though. Dental floss!:smack: Duh! Good tip!

I’ve been reading that something called “Bitter Apple Spray” is another taste cats don’t like. Any ideas as to where to buy something like that? Anyone else have experiences w/ that?
RW