New themes in TV ads -- eating pets

For the record, I don’t think it’s offensive, or even in poor taste; I just personally find it unfunny and a bit of a downer. I’ve also never really liked that old joke with the punchline “A pig like that, you don’t eat all at once.” On the other hand, I’ll happily watch commercials featuring Burger King’s King or Quiznos’ spongmonkeys. One man’s disturbing is another man’s funny, I guess.

I don’t find the commercial itself either funny or offensive, but I do like the Dad’s comedic timing. His “What are you gonna do?” is effective and he’s in at least one other non-Geiko commercial now where his style there too makes me smile.

I don’t think the TV ad trend is eating pets. The trend in TV ads lately is to prominently feature assholes.

Geico actually has a commercial where parents trying to save money for their kid’s college education teach their five year-old to dunk a basketball. The commercial ends with the kid hanging from the rim and the mother telling the father to get him down.

There’s also a cut-rate insurance company (maybe SafeAuto) with a commercial where random passers-by kick a guy in the crotch, to show what it feels like not to have auto insurance. I personally don’t see the funny in that one, either.

The spongemonkeys were fantastic! Did you ever see the video that inspired the commercials? We Like The Moon - the Spongmonkeys - By Joel Veitch rathergood.com, song by Joel and Alex Veitch

Besides that, goldfish are too bony.

I love the GEICO commercial.

We’re not real proud of it. (No, we’re not.)

shrugs What are you gonna do about it.

come on, ya gotta have something in there for crunch :stuck_out_tongue:

I love that one! When the little girl reaches for the drink box that the robot is offering, and the robot squeezes it and it sprays her face, the reaction of the girl is hilarious!