New Tolkien website is up, from the Estate. Previously unseen material

Pretty interesting stuff so far, including his early drawings pre WWI of the elven realm.

Thank you, this should be awesome to pour through.

Nitpick: pore.

Actually, I don’t see much I hadn’t seen before.

There are a lot of images on the Tolkien Gateway site that have been there for years. They include most of those on the Tolkien Estate website, and a number that are not.

I’m confused, how come?

“As a verb, pore means “to gaze intently” or “to reflect or meditate steadily.” The verb pour has meanings referring to the falling or streaming of liquid”

• some internet cite

Thanks, I always figured the knowledge was pouring out more or less. I’ve been butchering that one my entire life.

I wasn’t even aware of that meaning of pore.

Thank you. I absolutely love to see Tolkien’s drawings.

Read this letter to Chris Tolkien written after JRR’s wife had died. I knew about the gravestone saying “Luthien”, but I had never read his own words about it.

That’s a very common error.

That was quite touching. As someone who is still married to my youthful sweetheart and first love (and first passionate kiss at age 15), it was quite impactful to read of his feelings and experience, especially since I’m in my mid 60’s now and so is my wife.

Is there anything on the Tolkien Estate website that’s particularly new and different from anything previously known about Tolkien?

All the links to this story I saw in the news stated there was new stuff available at their new site, never seen by the public. But they didn’t link to specific new items.

That excerpt was published in The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien (1981, pp. 420-421). Very cool to see it online, but still not sure what textual material, if any, on that website is actually “new” as in “never previously published”.

There have been books published of his letters, and books of his art. This website seems to be trying to gather everything together in one place.