New variant of an old scam

A story that I haven’t posted yet is that my current job has a murky future because of the new Federal budget. My agency actually got a real increase, but the area I work in is getting cut to fund new programs. So far, I don’t see an immediate layoff danger, but because I’m still recovering from the last layoff, I posted a resume on CareerBuilder.com Thursday night just in case. I’m not going to be blindsided again.

Well, lo and behold, I have a new job. I’ve been hired via e-mail, and all I have to do is send them my bank information.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I haven’t figured out if I’m going to trash it without comment, reply and tell them to go pound sand, or something else. I don’t think I could get them to show their faces and how a stupid sign (at least without a lot of help).

Anyone with an idea on how to toy with these clowns?

Well, you could always report them to the appropriate authorities (not that it’s likely to do much good, but it couldn’t hurt). Of course, that’s not all that fun. You might be able to pick up some pointers from these guys. Here’s a pic to a fake check I got from a Nigerian scammer (notice that the account number is clearly visible, not that I’m suggesting that you give that account number to the scammers or Richard Nixon’s SSN [567-68-0515], but you could). :smiley:

I wonder what the main scam is. Are they going to siphon all the money out of your bank account and then disappear, or are they going to use you for money-laundering over a period of time?

Belay that Nigerian hooting VunderBob, for I too boast to have clients in other countries! I sold my sealed copy of Madonna’s SEX book to an Australian, a pair of yellow Larry Mahan cowboy boots to a German, and a Minolta camera to Canadian all giving popular feedback. Give me your bank information instead so that I may process your payments promptly!

Several factors are for my business! My online Paypal account soars up when your many clients would prefer to make money transfers not leaving their house, and place them into my account. I trust your civilization and good reputation level VunderBob! Bank with me and safely facilitate your exclusive projects.

Needless to say, the *Financial Services Centre * is **not ** listed in the ACT White Pages.

I wouldn’t have guessed that you would find them, Cunc.

A small update. I reported them to both Netzero (original e-mail was from a Netzero account) and CareerBuilder.Com, where they prey. Both places seem real interested in nailing the perps.

I know, it’s not as much fun as getting some goon half a world away to send me a picture of him or her holding a sign that says “Ivanna Humpalot”, but it does make life rougher for them.

What’s really funny is that I get these kind of emails on a regular basis, and I haven’t even registered my resume with any find-a-job websites yet.