New White Stripes single

“Icky Thump,” the titular, opening track to the White Stripes’ upcoming album, hit the iTunes shelves at 12:01 this morning. Admittedly, I’m a big Stripes fan, and I’m eagerly anticipating the new material after being disappointed by Get Behind Me Satan.

First impressions:

I can see where the “thump” comes from. The song is definitely a rocker. Jack put some attitude into his vocals on this one. It’s a little adventurous, with these crazy bagpipe-sounding solos and some tempo variation between sections. It’s almost prog-ish, you might say. Meg’s drumming has taken a few steps forward.

I do like it, but not as much as previous two album-openers (“Blue Orchid,” “Seven Nation Army”). I wish the whole song thumped along. I feel a little robbed every time he jumps into that riff after each verse.

Has anyone else heard the track yet? To my understanding, it’s being played on (satellite?) radio as well.

I haven’t heard it yet but I am excited about their just scheduled tour.

They’re playing Nunavut. How cool is that?

Heh, that’s a strange Goodies reference they’ve chosen.

I’ve heard it a few times, and the riff isn’t as catchy as I’d like. On the other hand, it took awhile for Blue Orchid to grow on me. I loved Get Be Me Satan, but I’m looking forward to some more thump from the Stripes. I’ll be seeing them at Bonnaroo if I can afford it.