news of the weird and straight dope

I don’t know if this is the right place for this, but:

I remember reading something on the news of the weird website about some bad blood between Cecil and Chuck. Does anyone know what happened?
Thanks

I don’t know if this is what you’re referring to, but Cecil and Chuck did have a less than cordial exchange over the purported practice of “gerbil-stuffing.”

Responding to a letter from Jan Brunvand, Cecil wrote that a supposed incidence of gerbil-stuffing reported by Chuck Shepherd was probably bogus. (Shepherd had cited an issue of Surgery, which Cecil checked - there was no reference to gerbils in the article.)

Shepherd responded to Cecil’s column by admitting that he was wrong, and that he had made a “transcribing error.”

Cecil questioned this:

This elicited another response from Chuck, in which he basically called Cecil a smartass.

The original column was this one, I believe.

I couldn’t find any of the ensuing correspondence online, but you can read it in Return of The Straight Dope, p. 402 - 404.

That has to be it. Thanks splatterpunk!

let me get this straight… a surgeon, upon removing a light bulb from someone’s rectum (still intact I’d assume), notes down on the chart not only what wattage the bulb is, but also whether it’s frosted or not?

:eek:

What can we say? The surgeon was anal-retentive?

lmao, lurkernomore.

I’d say the patient was anal retentive!