NFL 2020: Week 13

Bronko Nagurski.

Ndamukong Ngwa Suh is an American football defensive end for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League. He played college football at Nebraska, where he earned All-American honors, and was drafted by the Detroit Lions second overall in the 2010 NFL Draft. [Wikipedia]

(Ndamukong Suh - Wikipedia)

Say that 3 times fast.

As a Lions season ticket holder for 30 years (we all have our flaws), I had to spend about a week learning how to pronounce “Ndamukong Suh” after we drafted him in 2010. Monster of a defensive lineman and the Lions have not been the same defensively since they let him walk in free agency.

Debating about whether to bother watching the Lions game tomorrow or to put some other game on (we have Sunday Ticket so can choose which game to watch). On one hand, there’s always the chance that the team, freed from the shackles of the Matt Patricia reign of terror, go out and beat a team they aren’t supposed to beat in the Bears.

On the other hand, its the freaking Lions.

I think that the Lions have a good shot tomorrow, between no longer having to play for Patricia, and the fact that the Bears are reeling, with their coach questioning their dedication.

(Suh was a tremendous player when he was with the Lions, but he was also a really dirty player, and I strongly disliked him. Don’t get me started on him groin-stomping a Packer lineman. :astonished: )

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Agree on Suh’s dirtiness. Dude put us in bad positions too many times to count by getting a 15 yard penalty after a big stop, or getting a suspension for groin-stomping a Packer.

I think some of it is just baked into him, as he still played aggressively and got penalized after leaving Detroit, but the bigger chunk of it came from those Jim Schwartz-coached teams lacking discipline in general, almost rewarding recklessly aggressive play. His general assholeishness went down by a factor of 10 once he was out of Detroit.

Forrest Gregg’s Packer teams in the '80s were the same way. He loved aggressive play, and it led to a lot of personal fouls (and off-field idiocy, too). I’ve lived in the Chicago area since '89, and I know Bears fans who still haven’t forgiven the Packers for Charles Martin’s bodyslam of Jim McMahon.

I remember that Charles Martin dirty hit like it was yesterday. I was just a kid, maybe 12, but I had recently started getting big into football, and specifically was watching Monday Night Football every week for the first time in my life.

They played that play over and over again on the sports part of the local news for a few days here in Detroit. Even my unformed 12 year old football mind knew that while we weren’t supposed to root for or feel sympathy for the Bears, that was a dirty play.

The other big Chicago game on MNF that season was against the Lions, which was supposed to be the national debut of future Lions legend Chuck Long, who promptly got sacked 6 times by the still scary Chicago defense in a 16-13 Chicago win.

When I looked up that Chuck Long game, my memory said the Bears beat us by at least 4 scores, but it now makes more sense that they played a close game if McMahon was still injured from the Martin hit. I don’t recall who the Bears backup QB was in 1986, Mike Tomczak maybe?

ETA: sorry for the 1986 NFC Central hijack, I’ll continue posting about week 13.

I’m a lifelong Packers fan, and I was in college in those years – I was embarrassed to be a Packers fan then, and they played particularly dirty against the Bears. I remember Mark Lee pushing Payton out of bounds, and into the Bears bench. We had a bunch of asshats. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fuck Ndamukong Suh.

Fuck Ndamukong Suh.

Fuck Ndamukong Suh.

There’s the groin stomp, the arm stomp, the injured ankle stomp. That’s just against Green Bay. That’s not including kicking Matt(?) Schaub in the nuts and punching Jay Cutler in the back of the head. He’s not as dirty as James Harrison, but he’s as close as he can get.

Also, fuck Charles Martin and Darren Sharper.

He was a dirty player once he got to the NFL. It was embarrassing as that cheap shot shit wasn’t tolerated at Nebraska when he was collegiate. In the NFL it seemed like teams paid him to be nasty and unsportsmanlike. Again, never a favorite Cornhusker of mine and people here got disenchanted with him real fast when he started that shit. He was a star when here but is not spoken of much now nor claimed as one of ours anymore.

No problems from me. Brought him up only as a quirky name. Glad I wasn’t the embroiderer who had to fit that onto 10 jerseys a year. Never a favorite player of mine.

Eh, I’m not sure I buy that line of thinking. Sure, it was a mistake, but it doesn’t make you a maskhole for getting a little lazy about wearing a mask around a group of 5 people who you’ve been intimately close with for the better part of 4 months. They weren’t sneaking out to the club and they weren’t being belligerent or willfully reckless like that asshat on the Ravens. We’ve all established our “bubbles” and if I were a QB spending 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week in close proximity to the same 3 teammates and coach I’d probably add them to my inner circle along with my wife and hypothetical kids.

One got sick, none of the other 3 did because of the regular testing being done. I’m not going to label these guys reckless.

The fact that none of them got sick proves my point; they weren’t unlucky, they did get lucky.

Except in very rare cases, I’ve only seen surnames put on football jerseys. “SUH” would be one of the easier ones.

Thinking back—can’t visualize how that was handled. Will ask SIL today, he may remember. Suh would be about as easy as it got.

I still have a “SUH 90” Lions jersey hanging in my closet, so I can confirm this was the case in the NFL, but not sure what the back of his jersey said at Nebraska. They were still a year or two away from joining the BIG 10 at that point, so they weren’t in my regular college football watching rotation yet.

I can think of two NFL players who had their first names on their jerseys. Anybody want to try and guess?

Right now on CBS I’m watching a good matchup between the Browns and the Titans. Surprisingly (to me, at least), the Browns have a 10-0 lead.

On Fox, however, I’m being shown the extremely crucial matchup of the Lions and Bears. One might think that the Saints/Falcons game would be a better one to air, but evidently not.

Baker woke up feeling dangerous today, which is well timed, since the Titans are a very good team. Winning a game on the road against them would do a lot to establish the Browns as a legit good team, not just the beneficiaries of an easy schedule.