NFL 2022: Conference Championship Week

Mitch Trubisky, Matt Cassell, and Vince Young can all call themselves Pro Bowl QBs.

I suspect that the three new alternates were only named after the league contacted them, and they agreed to actually participate. If so, it’s possible that others were contacted, and declined.

And he’ll be sleeping with an actress to be named later.

There is no way that I would do it unless I was planning on retiring. Why risk injury, no matter how small the risk, for something lame like that?

Didn’t a promising rookie destroy his knee during a beach flag football game one time?

Yup, Robert Edwards, a rookie running back for the Patriots in 1998.

After several years of rehab, he did play again for the Dolphins in 2002, then starred in the CFL for several more seasons, but yes, that injury clearly disrupted a promising start to his career.

Robert Edwards in 1999. Tore 3 knee ligaments, suffered nerve damage, and severed an artery that almost led to him losing his leg. Amazingly, he made it back to the NFL for a season, then spend 4 years in the CFL.

That’s a big part of the reason why, increasingly, players (particularly quarterbacks) who have been selected to the Pro Bowl have opted out of actually participating. Even downgrading the full-contact game to a flag football game doesn’t entirely remove that risk.

That poor guy. I hope he had some kind of insurance at least, if there even is such a thing. Apparently he was “injury prone” in college but still.

Tom Brady has retired, maybe for real this time.

Thanks for the ride, Brady!
From the movie Creepshow 2.

Brady gave you a ride from the movies in 1987?

He had just gotten his license.

Josh Sills, a rookie reserve offensive lineman for the Eagles, was indicted this morning in Ohio for rape and kidnapping, stemming from an incident in December of 2019. The league has placed him on the commissioner’s “exempt list,” meaning that he can’t play, practice, or travel with the team.

Brady is one month younger than me, and in 1987 I turned 10 years old.

Not my best “he’s old” joke, I see.

Super bowl thread is up: NFL 2022: The Super Bowl

Nailed it.

While it’s nice Geno had a good year, it’s not a “Hey, you finally got better at your job” award. McCaffrey was coming back from an injury. Geno Smith was coming back from … not being good.

He was really good in college…?

(Even I know that doesn’t count.)