NFL 2022: The Super Bowl

And somehow we’re down to the last thread of the 2022 season, featuring the unsurprising matchup of the Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles. What I did find surprising is that this will be the first Super Bowl with two Black starting QBs. OK, so Brady has been one of the QBs in every SB for the last 20 years (or close to it), but still, it’s never happened yet?

As with the previous round, the big story is the injury status of Mahomes and Hurts. And given that any “injury updates” coming out of either camp are complete BS, I’m not going to bother recounting them. Maybe they’re fine, maybe they’re on crutches, maybe their shoulders are held together with duct tape and staples. We’ll see it when we see it.

Sunday, February 12 (Glendale, AZ)
6:30 pm ET: Chiefs vs. Eagles (-1.5, 50.5)

Pre-Game
NFL TikTok Tailgate Party: Jason Derulo and The Black Keys (yes, this really is a thing)
National Anthem: Chris Stapleton (country music)
“America the Beautiful”: Babyface (R&B)
“Lift Every Voice and Sing”: Sheryl Lee Ralph (actress from Broadway musical “Dreamgirls”)

Halftime
Announced performer: Rihanna

Who will win? What song with Rihanna open with? (Don’t Stop The Music is leading in the prop bets.) Who will make a guest appearance with her? (You’re a fool if you aren’t putting your money on Jay-Z). Are you still stuck in the early 2000s and “only watching for the commercials”? (Pro tip - every commercial is on Youtube. You don’t actually have to watch the game if you don’t want to.)

I am, of course, rooting for the Chiefs. I was thrilled with their win 3 years ago, so I won’t be despondant like I was 2 years ago, when they lost to the Tampa Bay Tom Bradys.
I am hoping its a high scoring close game.
I do not care a whit for the commercials.

FWIW, here is the list of Black quarterbacks to start in a Super Bowl, and the outcomes:

Doug Williams – Won Super Bowl XXII
Steve McNair – Lost Super Bowl XXXIV
Donovan McNabb – Lost Super Bowl XXXIX
Colin Kaepernick – Lost Super Bowl XLVII
Russell Wilson – Won Super Bowl XLVII and Lost Super Bowl XLIX
Cam Newton – Lost Super Bowl 50
Patrick Mahomes – Won Super Bowl LIV, Lost Super Bowl LV

I almost always dislike one of the teams in the Super Bowl. Probably because…

When it was the Rams and Patriots I was rooting against both teams (and in a way, that game was so bad that both teams lost).

For the first time I can remember, I like both teams and both QBs. I can’t decide who to root for.

Neither seems like an underdog, and both have won a SB in recent years. So I’m really torn.

If I remember correctly, Doug Williams threw 5 TD passes in one quarter.

Four, actually. They scored 5 TDs in the second quarter, but one was a rushing touchdown.

Thanks. Still an amazing performance.

Yeah, the Broncos had a 10-0 lead after the first quarter, but trailed 35-10 at halftime.

I don’t know why you call this an uninspiring matchup. these are 2 very good teams.

As a Giants fan I’m rooting for the Chiefs all the way. Burn Eagles, Burn.

First Grey Cup with two Black QBs was in 1981: Warren Moon (Edmonton) v JC Watts (Ottawa)

Read the OP a bit more closely. Bolding mine.

My lack of reading skills is wholly unsurprising.

I also find your lack of reading skills uninspiring.

:disguised_face: :smoking: :duck:

XLVIII; I remember it was a multiple of XII.

You are correct. I should have double-checked the website from where I copied and pasted…

Eagles all the way!!!

In an article today, professional tennis player Jessica Pegula (the daughter of Terry and Kim Pegula, owners of the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres) revealed that her mother Kim suffered cardiac arrest in June of last year, and while she was revived (thanks to CPR administered by another of her daughters), she is still suffering from aphasia and memory issues.

Kim is the president of both the Bills and Sabres, and has been extremely active in league management. However, Jessica indicates that her mother may not be able to return to her management roles.

I really hate this trend of forcing additional jingoistic songs into the pregame. One of the many shitty things about 9/11 and the nationalism that’s infected the country. That said, Babyface is amazing. I have no idea why we’re singing a Broadway musical song…

It’s not just “watching the commercials”. It’s “going to a party with a bunch of folks, eating junk food, and watching the commercials on a big screen, interspersed with occasionally making fun of the silly, illogical game”. YouTube isn’t the same experience. I mean, it could be made into the same experience, but in practice, it hasn’t.

Personally, the Chiefs are in the long “don’t really care” middle part of my list of NFL teams, but I went to college in Philadelphia, so that settles it for me. Go Iggles!

Lift Every Voice and Sing is often referred to as the “Black National Anthem”. The singer is from a Broadway musical.