and our high-priced kicker missed 2 XP (Jake Moody ghost?)
A rather iffy DPI call on the Ravens, setting up the Boys for the win.
If anything it was OPI.
Tied with 0:07 left.
That was one dramatic end to a game.
Congrats Ravens.
Can’t say I expected that ending to the game.
Running up the field is what a receiver is supposed to do after catching the ball. It’s very rare for a receiver to toss the ball to a teammate to do the running part. It seems odd to me that the nickname for this play would leave out the most significant thing about it.
As I remember, the first time I saw this play decades ago, it was referred to as “hook and lateral”; an obvious wordplay on “hook and ladder”, the firefighting equipment. I think people just started using the existing phrase out of laziness, forgetting that it doesn’t actually describe the play.
I still hear it referred this way.
The usual disaster by the Cowboys again. Failing to score on first-and-goal from the one, then also foolishly tackling the Ravens receiver with 00:01 on the clock instead of letting it run down to 00:00 first.
Another classic as the Rams lose to Denver by 4 points. 2 seconds left in the game, an attempt to throw a TD in the end zone ends in an interception.
Rams got shafted on a DPI call with just over a minute to go. Play should have been an interception and the Rams probably win the game.
I say screw the Rams but in all honesty they got completely robbed and the officials really screwed up in a way that clearly and unquestionably cost them the win.
Any Rams fan should be justifiably pissed off.
Yeah, that was a terrible call. I’m left wondering how the league tries to spin it. It’s not an easy job but there aren’t a lot of excuses for mistakes that change the outcomes of games
If it had been ruled correctly, the Rams would have gotten the ball back close to their own goal line with a 3 point lead and a bit more than a minute left.
It wouldn’t have been a guaranteed win, but it would have been very improbable for the Broncos to have a chance to get the ball back and score before the game was over.
The NFL’s response is just going to be to circle the wagons. They will either just say “Mistakes happen,” or try to even make the mistake seem like not a mistake.
Bad teams aren’t as bad as expected, see Browns when Watson doesn’t give the ball away. No. 2 QBs with experience are pretty good, Mariota, Cousins, Lock if they don’t turn it over. Saints are really exciting and winners without the refs getting in the way. How about those Oakland Raiders
.
Who will be the Giants quarterback? Jameis Winston isn’t it. I think the team is good enough to do some damage with even replacement level quarterback play. Props to Winston for that beautiful run with the sweet juke; that was poetry. But he can’t really pass, and I don’t even want him running. He’ll break.
I’m not seeing a lot of names in the rumor mill that intrigue me. I feel like teams won’t be interested in trading away their backup quarterback, leaving free agent Jimmy Garoppolo as the only one I would even give a workout to. I guess you could probably get JJ McCarthy, but at that point…
I kind of want to see what Haener can do from the practice squad. 3rd year pro, started one game for the Saints who drafted him, bounced around a couple different teams, looked bad on the Giants this preseason. You know, bad. But bad would be a clear step up from the seemingly hopeless situation with Winston.
EDIT:
They don’t, usually. Standard procedure is to send or email a letter to the team acknowledging the error and apologizing. That is the extent of any action taken. EDIT: Other than, of course, for whatever grading the NFL uses, those refs are going to have shitty ratings for that game. Not exactly starting out on the Superbowl track.
Stat of the week/season/decade:
Deebo Samuel in yesterday’s game: 0 receptions, 80 receiving yards, 1 receiving TD.
That broke a 65-year-old NFL record of most receiving yards in a game with no receptions. On December 3, 1961, Timmy Brown of the Eagles had 65 receiving yards, no receptions. Also no touchdowns, although he did score a rushing TD and also had a punt return for a TD that day.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/196112030pit.htm
How in the world to you find an obscure stat like that? ![]()