NFL Conference Championships

1979 was the season the Buccaneers (the other expansion team with Seattle when the joined in 1977) almost went to the Super Bowl. IIRC they lost the NFC Championship game to the LA Rams 9-0, on 3 field goals by Frank Corral.
ETA: yes, found it, Rams 9 - Buccaneers 0.
That game was in Tampa, not L.A. Forgot about that.

Seahawks fan.

Since the second half of the season the Seahawks have had no offensive line to protect Wilson and Lynch. They have no defense to stop Kaepernick. In their playoff game against the Saints the Seahawks didn’t win as much as the Saints lost. Their souls were not in the game.

49ers by three.

Missed the edit window. 1976 was the expansion year, not 1977 as I said above.

49ers win 17-4
Tebow brings defeat to the Broncos from beyond the football grave somehow, 32-3

You expect two safeties but no other Seahawks scores?

I was wondering the same thing.

Seattle recovers it’s mojo and rises to the occasion. SEA over SFO, 27-24

Peyton checks down to victory behind a strong run effort from the Broncos. The Pats running game struggles in this one and Brady doesn’t have the receiving corps to make up the difference.
DEN over NE, 35-31

A fired-up Broncos wins this one at home. Bailey picks Brady like he’s Romo, 38-28.

I’m just going to tune in and watch the Seattle-San Francisco game without a prediction.

Denver weather is predicted to be sunny and warm (50s) this Sunday.

Brady and Manning take turns torching weakened secondaries.

Patriots: 41
Denver: 38

In a relative snooze-fest…

Seahawks: 17
SF 49ers: 13

I agree my score seems high but I just had a feeling.

However, the weather forecast is now for showers, thereby reducing offense, so I’m downgrading it to Seattle 17, San Francisco 14… I think rain is probably to SF’s advantage because it’ll give a slight boost of importance to the sheer simplicity of Kaepernick’s just running the ball himself. I’m throwing a score out there for fun but really the more I think about it the more this is a toss-up.

An upset is certainly far likelier in Seattle than it is in Denver, where I see no reason to believe New England is the better team.

Besides the fact that New England already beat the Broncos in week 12?

That was certainly an odd one, with the Patriots spotting 24 points, and then in OT, punting the ball away with under 3 minutes left, and then recovering for a game winning FG. No real predictive value, except for Manning’s over-conservative play with the big lead.

The reason I pick the Patriots, is that both teams are very good and very flawed, which is the type of match up of which Belichick usually takes advantage. And the Broncos’ loss of their cornerback, Harrison will be hard to mitigate at the last minute.

Could go either way.

49ers haven’t scored more than 23 in their last three games against lesser teams. No way do they get more than that in Seattle against the #1 defense in the league.

The Seattle/SF game has the potential to be awesome.

SF 20
Sea 17

NFL.com is reporting that Tom Brady was not seen at the Patriot’s practice today (at least not during the media-accessible portion) and his usual weekly Wednesday news conference has been moved to Friday.

Worst case scenario I guess is some kind of illness but it could be anything. First injury report of the week comes out later today.

I just don’t see how SF is going to win if Carroll plans a smart game. If the battle is going to be Kaepernick’s arm and Crabtree vs. the Seahawk secondary then Seattle wins. Stop Kaepernick and Gore on the ground and make the 49ers air it out.

I believe it’s Harris.

Wilson has looked shitty for the last 4 or 5 games, so I think you’re taking that half of the game for granted. At least right now I like Kaep vs. Seattle D more than Wilson vs. Niners D.

Actually I was thinking Lynch v SF Defense as giving the Seahawks an advantage over Gore v Sea Defense. I know that Wilson really has regressed these last couple weeks but in a low-scoring smashmouth physical game, I just see Seattle getting one or two more big plays early than SF and getting a lead. Now if that happens and SF has to play catchup, that means more passes and that plays right to Seattle’s strength.

So I think if Wilson manages the game it’s an easy win. If it depends on Wilson going out to win the game for Seattle I’m not so sure. I think if either team gets a two-score lead, even 10-0 in the first quarter, the game is over.

In past meetings I think Gore has out-rushed Lynch. Don’t have time to check the stats, but that’s what I recall.