NHL Playoffs 2023

Puck drop for the first game is 40 minutes away with Carolina vs Islanders. I did a playoff bracket but won’t clutter up the thread with my predictions. I do think this Islanders/Canes series is going at least 6 games. Carolina sputtered down the stretch and no Andrei Svechnikov, I’m thinking the Canes may have problems scoring against Sorokin. Also, the Isles get Mathew Barzal back. Isles in 6

No Patrice Bergeron for the Bruins tonight. I think the Panthers are gonna put up one hell of a fight and this season ain’t gonna be the Bruins stomping the Panthers in 4. I have the Bruins barely escaping with a game 7 win.

And the Kraken started their upset of the defending champs with a 3-1 win on the road for their first ever playoff game. Yay.

Panthers make a goalie change as Bobrovsky comes in to start today. They ain’t paying him all that money to wear a ball cap.

They’re now up 3-2 on the series. Statistically speaking, teams up 3-2 in a series win the series 78% of the time.

And it’s against the defending champions no less! Go Kraken!

Tye Kartye, the kid the Kraken called up to fill in for McCann, scored in his NHL debut. His parents managed to make it to Denver from Kingston, Ontario, 1,600 miles away, on 9½ hours notice to see it live.

Vegas beats Winnipeg and is the first team to advance. Winnipeg really struggled down the stretch to even make it in the playoffs so no surprise there.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/nhl-playoffs-vegas-golden-knights-eliminate-winnipeg-jets-in-five-games

Still have no idea how Vegas is so good with such a revolving door of unknown (or over the hill) goalies.

How do i find the new owner of Las Vegas Enforcers?

Welcome, as best as I can tell that is a fictional team made by some guy named Lenore M. Wetzel as his thesis for his Master of Fine Arts - Media Design degree at Full Sail University almost 10 years ago. (He made a Facebook and Instagram page for the team.)

The NHL does not accept teams that don’t exist into their league, so it’s not totally relevant to this thread, but it was fun looking up that info.

Dallas and Carolina advanced to the next round tonight. I would not have predicted the Panthers would force a game seven, but here we are in the cup playoffs. I should have expected it.

Fun fact: Since being drafted by them in 2010, Freddie Anderson has won 100% of his playoff starts for the Carolina Hurricanes.*

*Last night was his first ever playoff start for the Canes.

Last night David Pasternak scored an insane goal.

Roope Hintz continues to impress in the playoffs. I thought it was great when, in 2019-20, he put up 13 points in 25 games. This year he already has 12 points in only 6 games.

Anyone else hoping for the Panthers to upset the Bruins?

I wonder if you could have placed a bet on Sebastian Aho to both win and lose in the first round and collect on it?

Hehehe, yeah, he’s been great. Max Domi described him as “I’m sure most hockey fans have played some form of NHL EA Sports (video game), he’s kind of the guy you try and probably create.”

I am! I love to see the underdog win - at least in any game where my side isn’t playing.

Not nearly as much of a hockey fan since I soured on the Leafs years ago, but I do believe that just for the hell of it I’ll fire up the TV for the Leafs-Lightning game tonight. Hey, the Leafs might even get past Round 1 tonight! Meaning they’ll quickly choke in Round 2.

The Leafs advance! I think I might need to check outside to see if pigs are flying.

Now that they have won a round, will the Leafs fold up in round 2? At least city council can start talking about a parade route…
Still a chance for an all Canadian final…

Wow, and Boston exits in the first round. Did not see that coming, at all.

No kidding. A historic season with 65 wins. And up 3-1 in the series before losing the last three games, including 3 home losses. Wow.

Kraken win!!!

3rd worst team last year, this year in the second season of their existence, they beat the defending champions in the first round.

Wow, some fantastic goalie play from Grubauer this series too,

Grubauer was friggin epic tonight. What a game! What a series!