NHL question. +/- player points.

So during a season I’ll see the stat of +/- points for a player. I know part of it is goals and assists, but there has to be another factor I’m not thinking of. For instance, I’ve seen players for a game have 1 G and 3 A but end up with a +5.

What’s going on?

Points are given if a player is on the ice when his team scores, and player points are taken away when his team gives up a goal.

The specifics elude me right now - I really haven’t been following the NHL as of late.

:dubious:

From here: http://nhl.com/nhlhq/faq/go_figure.html

You get a + for each goal that your team scores at even strength while you are on the ice. You get a - for each goal that is scored against your team at even strength while you are on the ice.

If there is a power play, +/- does not change.

Huh. I did not know that. I thought all power play goals did not change +/-. Thanks

If you are on the powerplay and your team scores, then you don’t get a +. If you are on the powerplay, and the shorthanded team scores a shorthanded goal, then you receive a minus, and the shorthanded players receive a plus. You aren’t penalized (or rewarded) when you have a man down (advantage). If you score when you are a man down, then you are rewarded with a plus, because it’s harder to score.

This way you can look at the +/- stat and figure out who is on the ice when goals are scored. Obviously it’s a much bigger deal if a player is on the ice when a shorthanded is scored for his side than if a goal is scored against his side.

I miss hockey.

OK, now I get it. Thanks for the info.
[sub]Come back, Penguins![/sub]

To add a little tidbit of info to this thread (I just want to post in a hockey thread):

The NHL record for best plus/minus rating in a year is +124. It was set by Bobby Orr in '70-'71. Not too shabby being on the ice for 124 more goals for than against.