Nikki Haley for President-Trumps plan

Her parents being Indian has no bearing on whether she is white. If she looks white, she is white. That’s the entire fucking concept of race. It is entirely visually based. That’s the definition–it’s why being anti-ginger is still racism.

And, will this board ever learn that snark means you lost the argument? You don’t need snark if your argument is good. You use it when it’s not.

According to the India Times one immediate result is it gives India its second reason to like Trump - the first reason being his anti-Mulsim rhetoric during the campaign :dubious:

I could see the appointment meaning “Trump would like to do some deals in India”. Anything further than that is probably giving him too much credit.

Simple. UN Ambassador is not considered an important position. It’s a token job for a woman in a cabinet that will be 90% old white men.

Is this even about Nikki Haley, or did he just give her something so that she’d get out of South Carolina? The lieutenant governor was an important supporter in an early primary state. Now he’s going to be the governor. Which one was Trump actually trying to promote?

I don’t think there’s enough time for her to be UN ambassador for two years, the Secretary of State, and then a candidate for president in 2020. I think the Secretary of State is prohibited from running for office, so she’d have to resign to do that. The 2020 presidential candidates will need to announce in mid-2019, though, so she’d be Secretary of State for maybe six months.

Why would you think that?

thanks for all the comments.
I thought my idea, which I freely admit is speculation, was original, but subsequent reading found several commentators matter-of-factly commenting along the same lines. Of course UN ambassador is a “minor position” in American politics, but in DC it is the senior ambassadorship and the only ambassadorship that is a member of the cabinet. And agreed no one runs for President based on that position which is why I posited that Ms Haley would move over to SOS. After all, Trump had recent personal experience with someone who had done exactly that.

The idea that Trump would be directly succeeded by his son seems incredibly unlikely. It has never been done in America and the idea that one of his sons would be interested and able to repeat Trumps success doesn’t make sense to me.

As for other possible candidates, certainly there are many and this plan could be derailed by many things including another candidate. But any other candidate would have his own power base, Ms Haley would owe her national position entirely to the Donald. A nice piece of insurance for the future.

Thanks for your comments! keep em coming.

remember that several years ago New York republicans met with Donald Trump intending to ask him to run for political office, either Senate or Governor, he declined telling them he was planning to run for President and didn’t want to waste his time at a lower level position.

He does plan ahead.

Yep.

The snarksters are missing the point: Trump is getting credit for A Diversity-Pick when the person he picked is not known for being “non-white.”. The news media had to inform most of the nation that Haley is of Indian parentage. They wouldn’t have bothered if it were common knowledge.

It’s as if Trump offered Starship Troopers lead Casper Van Dien a cabinet post and declared he now had a diverse cabinet, despite the fact that all the other posts had been filled by men who are, like Van Dien, blue-eyed blonds. But Van Dien claims Native American ancestry…so, hey, diversity!

What a load of crap. If you had one drop of evidence that she identifies as white you might have a point but so far all I’ve seen is she’s a Republican who didn’t decide to marry a guy of Indian descent. It’s goddamn shameful that you guys want to strip her of her ethnicity on that basis. Seriously shameful.

Again with the point-missing.

“You guys want to strip her of her ethnicity” has to be some sort of record.

We might not even have to wait for the après.

Hell, she might just be the best of the lot! Has she any real competition at this point?

That’s OK, you guys have Ann Coulter to carry your banner.

Uh, some sort of record for what? How clearly one can point out bullshit to someone?

Here’s Nikki acting all white while visiting India:
https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/gettyimages-459012790.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=640

They also had both a Sikh and Methodist wedding ceremony. She continues to regularly attend different Sikh events. And good for you that “you don’t see color” like Colbert’s comical persona, but she frigging looks Indian to us mere mortals. I’m not missing a point, you are completely wrong. From my perspective, purposely wrong to score a political point.

Did you mean to address me? Because it’s clearly Amateur Barbarian, Sherrerd and BigT mocking her Indian heritage, not me. Strange bedfellows, I must say.

Don’t say “Ann Coulter” and “bedfellow” at the same time! Sure, free speech, but there are limits!

I’m not a fan of Haley but she actually gave the Republican rebuttal to the State of the Union last year and it was more of a swipe at Trump than Obama. She supported Rubio in the primary but reluctantly supported Trim one he no he received the nomination. She has been a rising star for a while.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

She supported the confederate flag until a white guy shot up a black church. Like most politicians, she conveniently changed her position when it was politically OK to do so.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Is UN ambassador a position that’s well-suited for learning the ropes of foreign policy?

I would think so.
One of the few foreign policy positions where one routinely deals with all the major powers plus all the medium powers plus all-well you get the idea. The UN ambassador probably doesn’t get involved in the management of trade between the US and India (to pick a random example), but surely is kept informed of any significant issues between the US and any other state.
As for foreign policy politics-I believe the republicans jumped all over the UN ambassador over Bengzhi-the ambassador wasn’t immediately clear and accurate with what happened there and so was deliberately misleading the American public.