Nikon Coolpix L1 on a Mac

I was taking photos with my old Olympus D510 when one of my damaged knees went out. I stumbled backward and the camera flew forward, landing on its lens. Well, it was five years old and only 2 mpix anyway. So I bought a new Nikon Coolpix L1. 6.2 mpix, better LCD screen, nicer photos, and cheaper than my Olympus was.

When I hooked the Olympus up to my PC it showed up as an external drive. I could easily open a single photo and download it onto my hard disc. (I never hooked it up to the Mac, and it’s too late now.) I tried connecting the Nikon to the PC, but a driver couldn’t be found. (I installed PictureProject, which came with the camera.) In any case, I don’t use the PC anymore.

When I connect the Nikon to the Mac it does not show up as an external drive (like an iPod, for example). I can access it with iPhoto, but not in the way I want. I can load the pictures into iPhoto, but only as a batch. Since I’ve already downloaded 100+ I’d rather not do it again. I only want to grab one photo.

How do I configure my PowerBook G4 such that I can access the camera as an external drive from which I can select single photos, delete individual photos, etc.?

I really don’t know if I can help you, but here’s a try…

I have an old Nikon Coolpix (2 Mpix) which works fine as an external in Windows but we had trouble getting it to load on my old desktop PC in Linux. Since, as I understand it, Mac OSX and Linux are similar, the fix that we did was change the setting on the camera itself. It has two options for how a computer sees it - PTP and Mass Storage. Honestly, I have no idea which one worked (it’s been well over a year since I used that old PC box!) but changing it from one to the other made it work in Linux (Debian). Just go into Set-up, and there should be a USB menu, and then you can switch it, assuming your new camera has a similar menu to mine.

Good luck!

Mass storage. The mass storage setting is the right one.

That’s the ticket.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

To make life easier, buy a $8 USB card reader and don’t bother hooking up your camera to the computer. It’s faster, easier, and less likely to cause problems on multiple computers.