Nine-Month Cruise: A Novel

In December I started seeing news stories about the Nine-Month Cruise, run by Royal Caribbean: a 274-day cruise around the world, visiting all seven continents, with an emphasis on visiting World Heritage sites and other major landmarks and cities.

They left December 10. Within a couple of weeks they’d become an Internet sensation–with more than 54.8 MILLION views of the related hashtag “UltimateWorldCruise” by December 22.

The people onboard were posting TikTok and other social media posts, and people back on land were following, and posting themselves with speculations on what they thought likely to happen. This really captured imaginations. (It’s ongoing–search the hashtag or ‘Serenade of the Seas’ to see some of the hoopla.)

So I started thinking about this. A story of one logical consequence of such a situation took hold of me, and I felt I had to write it down. I’m slow–I plan and outline and re-write a lot, so I just submitted the novel yesterday.

The ebook is up. The paperback is supposed to be available Monday, but we shall see. Anyone who is signed in can read a fair amount of the book without charge, and of course people belonging to various Amazon entities (like Prime) can likely read the whole thing.

I’m proud of this one–I think it came out as a fast, entertaining read (312 pages in paperback). The issues underlying the story remain compelling, I think–there are serious unsolved problems relating to social media that I tried to highlight.

I’m always interested in constructive criticism!

I looked up the UK and Australian Amazon pages while still signed in, so I’m not sure these are correct in general:

As for Canada, I’ve been told that it’s common for people to buy from the US site. But if not:

Congrats! Feels good to get a novel out there in the world, doesn’t it? :slight_smile:

I hope it does well!

Many thanks–I appreciate your post!

I have hopes for this one: in spite of the ‘ripped from the headlines’ aspect, it’s of more general interest than are most of my other published books.

The paperback finally became available today. (The cover dimensions had been an issue–KDP must have changed their software as none of my other covers have been delayed this way.)

There’s a bit of a joke on the back cover which, of course, isn’t seen in the ebook edition. Worth a quick look for anyone interested.

I was very pleased yesterday to find that two people have given the book 5/5-star ratings. That might lead casual browsers to decide to give the novel a try–I hope!

(If anyone here was responsible: Thank you!)