Wow, you are right. I just paid the $17 and am installing it.
I’m going to mainly go in blind-ish and just see what my take of it is.
Thanks!
Wow, you are right. I just paid the $17 and am installing it.
I’m going to mainly go in blind-ish and just see what my take of it is.
Thanks!
The best way to play any game, really. No spoilers!
There is so much to do now.
I played it when it first came out. I still had fun then but it was nothing like it is now.
I began today, put about 2 hours in. Was able to restore my broken ship to functioning and took off.
The game guided me to a specific next location and I am mining, refining, and building new equipments.
Can I fast-travel? I am never huge amounts of space away from my ship, but that is also where I want to put my base, so I want to warp back.
That’s about it. Minimal space travel at this point, but I figure pretty soon I should just be able to take off, go to another random planet, and, uh, do stuff there.
I haven’t played NMS in quite a while. The one thing that really took me out of the sense of real exploration and discovery was that, no matter how remote an “undiscovered” planet was, there were invariably sentinels about. Doesn’t really fit the definition of undiscovered for me, LOL. is that still the case? Also, there was still virtually no real multiplayer. It looks like they have improved this somewhat, at least.
You’ll eventually get to a point where you unlock portals (either in the local station or your planetary base(s)) enabling fast-travel between those. There’s also the option of running your own NPC colony, which has a fast-travel portal that can be built.
IIRC, it’s also possible to use a portal to visit other players’ bases but I’ve not tried that.
So I left my planet once for fun and zoomed back down and was able to find my base and so forth, like my little shelter.
I did a bunch of stuff like made a portal and a research machine.
I then decided to hit space and noticed it told me to go to a space station, which was not far away. I landed there.
When I want to go back to my planet, the one I made a base on, do I just…aim my ship at it? I imagine at some point there will be a long list of planets and locations to go to. Does this feature auto-travel that is quick?
If the portal in your base is powered, you can activate the portal in the space station and get there that way.
Otherwise, yeah, just aim your ship at it and tell it to land when you’re close enough. Assuming you haven’t built a landing platform, which will have your ship land by itself.
I was able to restore hyperdrive to my ship. Felt like a pretty significant achievement after about 3 hours of play.
I can’t seem to remember how to drop a warp portal. I did the one the tutorial told me, but it isn’t under my “drop machine here” menu, like the refiner or the base computer.
I had to go to a new planet to get Copper. I dropped a base computer mainly just to claim it, but I also would like to drop warp portals at planets so I can bounce between them and the space stations.
Next time I load it up, I will go to space and do hyperdrive.
It is. That is a major milestone for the game.
I think it took me a lot longer.
![]()
I am playing on “relaxed” mode so maybe it is way easier. I also have only followed the main quests at this point.
I’ve reached the point where it wants me to learn more alien words before advancing. That sends me out into space, basically, looking for stuff.
Try talking to any NPCs you see milling about – i.e.: not associated with a counter or ship – they will often offer to teach a new word.
Couple of questions.
I took a scanning mission from the Base in my area. When I got to the planet I needed to go to, I was overwhelmed with sentinels. Wave after wave. I fought them off, but more kept warping in. What’s the point of this? I eventually used Pulse Engines to flee. I didn’t count the waves, but it felt eternal. Do these sentinels just keep coming? Is there an end to what felt like an endless series of waves? I fled when allowed to, came back and finished the mission.
How do I upgrade the amount of technology upgrade slots for my suit and my mining tool? I have upgraded ship inventory by one, but never see any option to expand out my tech. slots for my equipment.
This varies depending on the planetary body you happen to be visiting. Here’s a handy table:
| Low Sentinel Activity | High Sentinel Activity | Aggressive Sentinels | Corrupted Sentinels |
|---|---|---|---|
| Absent | Attentive | Aggressive | Answer To None |
| Few | Enforcing | Frenzied | Corrupted |
| Infrequent | Ever-present | Hateful | De-Harmonised |
| Intermittent | Frequent | High Security | Dissonant |
| Irregular Patrols | Observant | Hostile Patrols | Forsaken |
| Isolated | Regular Patrols | Inescapable | Rebellious |
| Limited | Require Obedience | Malicious | Sharded from the Atlas |
| Low | Require Orthodoxy | Threatening | |
| Low Security | Unwavering | Zealous | |
| Minimal | |||
| Missing | |||
| None | |||
| None Present | |||
| Not Present | |||
| Remote | |||
| Sparse | |||
| Spread Thin |
Tip: always try to land close to a structure with a door – they can follow inside but won’t attack. Alternatively, dig a tunnel until they don’t detect you.
The quickest way, if you can afford it, is to visit a vendor on the local station and purchase slots. The free, but time-consuming, way is to look for them as mission rewards.
My Sentinel nonstop attack was in space.
I love the “word hunt” part of the game. ![]()
I took a mission to fight pirates. I was able to go, hunt them down(in space), and kill a few and they stopped spawning. Opposite of the sentinel experience, where they kept coming. Then, it didn’t update my mission status until I left the area; I thought I had missed something.
Is there place to look at prefabricated ships other players online have made? I’m flying along in my original ship still and was wondering if blue-prints for ships are shared online.
Hm. Must be something added since I played last; at the time, you really had to get them upset on some planetary body before they started coming after you in space.
So there was a large ship there and it had a shield and health bar. I believe I was protecting it, not attacking it. Sentinel ships were warping in. I had read online 5 waves should do the trick, but honestly, I think I was past 5 waves.
Can my starter ship get its basic weapons upgraded to be, uh, stronger or better? I have a rocket and photon blasters. Rocket only fires once before being overheated.
It is trying to persuade me to build my own ship, but I really would prefer plans from other players. I mean, I barely see anyone or consider myself playing online, but that would be an awesome choice/option.
Sure! Upgrade vendors on stations sell technology to improve existing weapons and to add new weapons. Which can also be improved later.
This is a bit outdated (vendors have since been relocated) but the rest is still accurate, AFAIK: