No-Prize

Did anybody else here read the letter pages in Marvel comics when they were a kid. I did (back in the 70s). Letter writers weren’t allowed to quibble about inconsistancies in previous issues unless they could also come up with a scenario that would make the mistake seem, well…, not a mistake.

Say the Hulk is wearing torn brown pants in one frame and blue ones in the next. You could call the editor’s attention to the mistake but you also had to justify it by saying, maybe, the Hulk’s gamma radiation altered the surrounding light spectrum, or some other nonsense. This feat of nit-picking/rationalization would win you a no-prize.

This has been bugging me for 25 years. What does a no-prize look like? Is it literally “no prize” or is there a certificate or plaque involved? Does anybody know anybody who was awarded one?

Aon Dia.
Aon Tir.
Aon Ite.

Sorry PapaBear, but we members of the MMMS (Merry Marvel Marching Society) have been sworn to secrecy, and I take my swearing VERY seriously!

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.”
Hunter Thompson

::Letter writers weren’t allowed to quibble about inconsistancies in previous issues unless they could also come up with a scenario that would make the mistake seem, well…, not a mistake::

Jeez, the writers were too lazy to cover their own asses?

The no-prize arrived in a nicely printed envelope stating that it contained your no-prize.

It was empty, of course.

No-prize sounds like a no-brainer to me. Sort of like the lottery. I buy and buy tickets and get no-prize.