Non-Apology Apologies and why they don't help a goddamn thing

Nope. I’m not a board official. Just an annoyed person. I’m hoping that in the future contempt becomes intended.

JChrist. Are you always this daft, or just on Thursdays?

I’m not going to speak for C K or manhattan, but I will say if there was any contempt, it wasn’t until after you went off your rocker.

Funny, doesn’t say “Member” under your name. Coulda fooled me.

Doesn’t take much to do that, does it?

You say “tomato”
I say “Goddamn it, what the fuck did you just say to me?”

Of course they do, they’re the only ones. However, you claimed that the usage of “if” means that they did intend the insult. It it not possible that it was a simple case of poor wording?

Get off the conclusion pogo stick already.

I got fooled into paying to be insulted, so I guess so.

Just so we’re clear:

me going “off my rocker” (in your opinion) = when I objected to me and a bunch of other posters being characterized as “assinine”?

“Asinine” is not an insult now? So I can call any mod “asinine” anytime I want and they can’t warn me? Or is it only an insult if it’s spelled correctly?

Dex did not characterize you or anyone else as “assinine”. It was aimed at an act, specifically the act of asking for medical advice on a message board.

A simple case of poor wording= “I’m sorry that I worded that poorly.” or “I’m sorry that my meaning was unclear”

Intended insult that I thought you were too dumb to catch= “I’m sorry if my meaning was unclear.”

“I’m sorry if my meaning was unclear” + general attitude of scorn towards all us moron posters = “Why the fuck am I paying for this?”

You need a smack with the clue stick.

No one called you asinine. Period. End of discussion.

You may have thought someone called you asinine, but you were wrong. I think you owe us an apology.

You weren’t characterized as asinine. Here’s what he typed:

In his opinion, with which you’re free to disagree, as you obviously do, it is the asking that is asinine, not the asker. It just so happens that both are, in this case.

So, in whatever language you speak, characterising an act as “a stupid thing to do” does NOT mean that the persons who commit that act are, in your opinion, stupid? So, if I say “Choosing the name ‘Lute Skywatcher’ is a moronic thing to do”, I have NOT just called you a moron?

I understand that you think Dex didn’t call me “assinine”. However, it’s apparent to me that he did, so I’m not going to apologize.

Wow, you’re a brand new kind of idiot.

Smart people make stupid mistakes. This does not make the person any less smart. It just means what he or she did was stupid.

I am very sorry that you choose not to apologize.

Still jumping to conclusions, I see.

Exactly. You called the act moronic, not me.

No, just misguided. Minnie’s entire argument is derived from something that’s at best an editorial; at worst, a blog.

So, by this logic:

I have given birth, but that did not make me a mother.
I own a dog, but that does not make me a dog owner.
I live in the United States, but that does not make me an American.
If a person makes a stupid mistake, it means they aren’t very smart in whatever area they made the stupid mistake in. If a brilliant mathematician makes a driving error, it doesn’t mean he’s not a good mathematician. It DOES mean he’s not a good driver.

I didn’t think he was saying I was a bad mother, a bad dog owner, or a bad American. But he did say (or strongly imply) I was an “assinine” poster. He’s free to think that, but when I am paying to post on a board and he’s a board offical, he shouldn’t say or imply it. He should have answered my question in a neutral way, even if he thought it was the most “assinine” question in the history of the world.

Hint: neutral means not characterising anyone or anyone’s actions as “assinine” or any other insulting word. Especially not the people who are paying you.

If I cannot imply people’s feelings and intentions from what people say and how they say it, then how the hell does anyone communicate with anyone? Is everyone else in the world telepathic and no one ever told me?

And, as the person that said it, if I say “Choosing the name that you did is a moronic thing to do”, that means I think you are moron. If I didn’t think that, I would say it differently. (But just for the record, I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other about your board name, I just used that as an example.)

I’m starting to wonder why you *are * paying for this. It seems to me that you are welcome to leave anytime and discontinue paying for this. And just because you are paying for a general service doesn’t mean you, MinniePurl, will get to dictate all of the terms of the service.

You should have checked past mod/admin history if this was going to be a big sticking point for you on the board. The admins and mods are allowed to have personalities–and this would be obvious to you if you had done your reseach. If you want robot mods/admins who spit out scripted responses to everything, find a board that offers that type of moderation. If you don’t care for the way they do their jobs, find a place more to your liking. Don’t come to a board where the Perfect Master is known for his snark, and then be surprised if his minions have similiar personalities and styles.

And on preview, doing a bad or stupid thing does not make the person bad or stupid. Shit, I do 10 stupid things before breakfast some days and that doesn’t make me stupid.

Grow up and quitcher whining.