At risk of going rather off topic …
Last night I was listening to the BBC World Service, and I heard a broadcast about Iran that I must have heard before.
The jist was that after 9/11 they held candle lit vigils, they helped with Afghanistan and via the Swiss stuck all their cards on the table.
Their payback was the ‘Axis of Evil’ speech, which the BBC suggested was created by speech writers and nobody realized the implications.
My take is that most people are used to hearing dick heads spout off with lunatic rhetoric, for GWB to do so was really, really, odd - and indicated that he meant business.
It is like the little guy mouthing off, nobody takes any notice, but when the big guy ceases to speak softly, it is time to back towards the exit.
Realistically, we have seen since 2001, that it is very easy to destroy a state’s infrastructure, but virtually impossible to ‘occupy’ it.
North and South Korea have been doing a little mating dance for quite some time, things like unified sports teams look trivial, but are highly significant.
My take is that they were, and still are, edging towards re-unification with dignity.
The fact that the new GS of the UN is S. Korean indicates that others are trying to help, somehow I do not see it as a coincidence.
I reckon that if GWB and his pals backed off, preferably with a face saving manouvre, then things would quieten down.
With Iran I would offer a mutual defence pact, on condition that they stop supplying weopons to (especially) Hezbollah.
With N. Korea I would offer de-militarization, covert Swiss bank accounts and some sort of Marshall Plan to get them up to speed with S Korea.
The major problem is that the USA has started acting like kindergarten bullies in the playground. Understandable as the kids have knives and guns, but confusing to those who expect different behaviour.
My PR output would be Pax 21 (21st century peace) a total mutual defence pact for all regimes and zero criticism of internal repression, 'uman rites criticism etc, from controllable sources.