Not many people know that...

Yale has a prom?
Oh, and thanks… I now can no longer construe Ivylass to be a gender reference.

I think it’s held in the deepest part of the ocean. Where is that, again? And how long did humans stay down there? How many times? When? I’m really curious about all this.

I’m for the salt part again. How many pretzels would that cover? Enough to fill Mariana’s Trench? Can we get them to the moon?

This thread has me wondering so many things my head is spinning.

1. If the moon were made of green cheese and covered with a 240-foot-thick crust of salt, how big would you have to be to take a bite that contained equal parts salt and green cheese?

2. If we removed all the salt from the ocean and spread it evenly over Earth’s land surface, how long before everything became extinct? Then how long would it take for all that salt to wash back into the ocean?

3. If the seas were fresh water and we lived on top of a 40-foot-thick crust of salt, would we be more likely to explore the moon? Or the deep parts of the seas?

4. What kind of animals would live in the seas if the seas were fresh water?

5. What kind of animals would live on the land if it was a 40-foot crust of salt?

6. What kind of plants would grow in that crust of salt?

7. Where would you rather live? The moon? The Challenger deep? Or atop a 40-foot-deep pile of salt?

Whoa - check this website I found. I’m not sure whether to believe these outrageous claims or not:

Is this for real? Should we ask Cecil?

IIRC, there was a post in an earlier thread that confirmed this. Ah, here it is.

Not true.

It was faked in a soundstage on the moon. It took them approximately 209 hours to set it up, 20 minutes to shoot and an additional 90 hours and 40 minutes to disassemble the stage. This is why they spent 300 hours on the moon.

I dare you to prove me wrong.

And the entire segment was produced by two guys in LA that went on to create The Transformers (although they don’t want anyone to know who they are, except Chas E.).

Paul Verhoven directed.

I find this claim to be dubious. After all, it has its own website.

My cites:
Microsoft
Macy’s
Monkey World
Montana

Like Mariana Trench, all begin with ‘M’, and have their own websites. All have been visited. For longer than 20 minutes. By tons of people.

This thread started out discussing the salt in the sea.
How about discussing the Salton Sea?
Not many people know that only 2 films have been made which involve the Salton Sea:

how do you kno all this hav you done the work yourself i donnt think so after all i saw a post on another bord from a poster called deepthroat so i think they should kno about diving and salty things and they thort this was all a us goverment PLOT for the switft sub vets so its up to U to proove its not

Im realy intrested two see when youv dun the work and let me kno wat yu find tx

Pfeh, that’s nothing.

Even fewer people know that the juice of a single lemon, if diluted thinly enough, will cover the entire state of Wisconsin!!!11!!!1!!!

About a hundred dollars. Yeah, a hundred dollars.

If you were “an excellent driver,” could you cross the moon’s equivalent of the Marianas Trench in less than twenty minutes in a moon buggy powered by sodium?

An interesting sidepoint: The film Rainman has a scene filmed in downtown Guthrie Oklahoma, at the corner of Division and Oklahoma Ave, the deepest part of Guthrie, only once, for about 20 minutes, later edited to a mere 97 seconds.

The directors cut is amazing. I hear he got about a hundred dollars. Yeah, he’s really worth his salt.

Man has visited the deepest part of the worlds oceans, Challenger Deep in the Mariana’s Trench, just once. In 1960. For 20 minutes.

If all of the girls who attended the Yale prom had their salt removed from the Mariana trench, it would form a crust over the moon, just once, for twenty minutes.

Really? I had no idea! But who? And when? How long did they manage to stay down there?

Where is the deepest part of the world’s oceans, anyway?

If the moon’s weight in salt was all used to create pretzels, you would end up with enough pretzels to choke every politician and civil servant on earth.

I hear that it’s Challenger Deep in the Mariana’s Trench, just once. In 1960. For 20 minutes.