Note to Gym Users (Warning: Mild)

you have to factor in the angle of the press…gravity goes straight down. If he’s got 100 pounds on a 45 degree incline…he’s lifiting 45 pounds.

do you bring you knees all the way to your chest? pretty much anyone (adult men) can max load one of those things and go down a few inches and back up.

I used to frequent a bodybuilding forum, when I was more actively into lifting. People exaggerate their stats and lifts a little too often.

It’s possible. In high school I weighed about 127 (almost 75 pounds less than I weigh now!) and could leg press around 700 pounds on a machine, although I probably would have had trouble bench pressing an empty bar. I was running cross country track, had arms like twigs and legs like tree trunks. My body was so weird looking it’s bizzare to see old photos of myself.

And as far as exaggeration goes, that’s nothing. You should have seen the penis-length thread. :smiley:

My coworker, a 5’3" 41-year-old woman who’s only worked out for about six months, told me she could do her body weight in leg lifts (about 150 lbs). My husband, who has quite strong legs and works out 3 days a week, does 125 lb lifts.

I do 40 lbs, 3 x 10, could probably do as much as 70 lbs once (but I’ve never tried), and I have a lot of strength as a result of my weight lifting. I’m also 5’3".

The only reason I didn’t call bullshit on her was because I have to work with her.

I just checked since my gym is in a spare bedroom. I was able to leg lift 80 lbs once, about halfway.

Bench Press and Leg Press are two completely different things.

I want to know how much the guy weighs, so I can see what we’re getting 600% of.

400 is nothing to sneeze at, I don’t know anyone under at least 190 that benches 400 or over. At 190lbs 600% of his body weight would be 1190lbs, of course I could be doing that math wrong. I am a meathead after all.

Read the post again, whiteboy. Feynn was talking about the inclined leg press, not the bench press.

You might wanna be more careful about that “bullshit” cry in the future.

My fault.

I’ll try not to be the little (white)boy who called bullshit.

No biggie. I was confused for a bit there; I’m definitely not the second coming of Charles Atlas, but even I can leg-press somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 to 800 pounds. I couldn’t see why you were getting so worked up.

WB The force to lift 100 lb of weight on an 45 degree inclined plane is not 45lb, it is more than 70 lb (100 lb * cos 45 deg + force due to friction)

Also, anyone that cannot leg press 100% of their body weight cannot stand up from a squating position.

Ah, the gym, and the things that suck about it.

1. The individuals who are using dumb bells, performing flies or curls, etc, and feel obligated to, after performing their last rep, let the weights drop from their hands to the floor. No, the strength of the thud is not indicative of your monstrous power or the length of your penis. You’re going to break someone’s foot, you assholes.

2. Those men who, after asking me, a complete stranger, to spot for them (which I don’t mind), find it necessary to tell me the history of their involvement in weight training, what powders and supplements they have used over the years, and their current excercise program in minute detail. Fuck you, I don’t have time for that, I’m there to lift and not to talk.

3. Those very attractive women in short shorts who, after using the treadmills in the adjoining excercise room (which has water fountains of its own right next to the treadmills), travel into the weight room to bend over 90 degrees and drink and pant over our water fountain at length. Under other circumstances I wouldn’t mind at all, but I need the oxygen in my blood to travel to the muscles I’m working, and not to a southern extremity. Fuck you, you’re distracting me, and the gentleman doing deadlifts is going to lose his concentration and hurt himself. Badly.

4. The very unattractive women who do the same. Yes, you’re excercising, and that’s great! But you’re going to have to excercise for a long-ass time before you have the curves that are going to screw up my routine. Sorry, you are not a winner. Please try again.

5. The packs of junior-high/freshmen boys who barely make the age limit, enter the weight room, and each eagerly take turns trying to bench with the weight they found on the bar so as to impress their friends, but instead get stuck a fourth of the way up and desperately squeal as their cohorts help them out by pulling the bar up in four different fucking directions. Fuck you, you’re going to injure yourselves, you prideful fucks.

6. The assdroids who litter the floor with dumb bells and weight plates. Fuck you, someone’s going to trip, you selfish fucks.

The above, among other things, aided me in my decision to purchase a weight set of my own.

Amen to that. I have a friend in real life who will tell people (including myself) with a straight face that he can bench press 375lbs.

Funny because I was there he tried 245 and couldn’t get it off the bar.

I agree these people are ridiculous, but they keep your membership prices low. Think of them as making a donation to your gym.

If everyone who had a membership to a gym went regularly, the gym would close. They would have to build it like 7 times bigger to accomodate all the people. But then it would be too expensive to operate. A gym cannot survive strictly on the dues of the members who go on a regular basis. It must have the many benefactors who only show up for 5 days out of a 3 year membership.

1. At my gym, we have sign up sheets for the cardio machines. The rules are very clearly stated.
  • Sign your name for when you want the machine
  • No more than 30 minutes per person per machine
  • No signing up more that 1 hour in advance
  • If you finish early, cross out your name.

So, I’ll get into the gym and find 1 of the 5 ellipticals free, but it’s signed up for. One guy I can see has signed up for, and been on the machine 45 minutes. And the machines are booked up for the next two hours.

1. The weightlifting area is, probably unbeknownst to many lifters, directly above the studio. If you would so kindly put your weights down rather than dropping them constantly, us people in the yoga class downstairs would appreciate it greatly.

Great Caesar’s Ghost yes! I am not talking the ones working out in the weight room but the ones that make the beeline to come and preen like its a meat market. And jebus, when did hot pants workout shorts become the norm? You know you are distracting.
I got one of my own…

-Quit clanging the damn dumbells together. If you cannot get a controlled lift and need to resort to acting like a damn town crier with each rep, go down a little on the weight. What do you want after sounding like you are trying to figure out a new way to crack walnuts while giving birth to a watermelon, a golf clap? Even Ahnuld knew controlled burn in your lifts did more than having a heart attack jerking the weight around.

God, yes. I was about to post this one. Spitting in the water fountain, clanging the dumbells, dropping the dumbells. The clang is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Psssssst. I tried the polite “may I work in” thing once. To someone chatting on to her boyfriend. What I got was a snide “Why?? you going to a fire? Why be in such a hurry” And then she went on to give me a mini-lecture on “stopping to smell the roses”!!!

I was really annoyed and shocked, and replied “as a matter of fact, yes, I am on a schedule, my daycare charges 5 bucks a minute past closing time, now, do you mind, since you aren’t even using it”?

Most gyms I’ve belonged to have signs up saying “NO Resting between Sets” to prevent any questions or ambiguity of that sort.

Anyway, because there are so many inconsiderate things that some people do in gyms, I was ALMOST going to post a “gym rant” myself before the OP beat me to it. Resting on equipment between sets seems to be the least of the offenses people perpetrate at gyms.

My pet peeves are, in no particular order:

Put your weights back!!!
Bathe for crying out loud!!! And wash and change your gym clothes!!!
Wipe your nasty, greasy sweat OFF of the machine after you use it!!! (as someone already stated) .
Stop making that ridiculously stupid “he man” grunt when lifting. Come on!! is it reaaaaaaaaalllly necessary? I’ve worked out in gyms with dozens of guys all lifting pretty impressive amounts and there’s always one man that just HAS to make that stupid noise. Men? it doesn’t impress us, if that’s what you’re trying to do, it grosses us out.

Oh, and FTR? I’m not talking about that once in awhile groan, grunt, holler, whatever when you’ve reached failure and are putting that last push of energy into it. I’m talking about the guy that has to do it EVERY lift, EVERY set.

And while we’re on the subject of noise? My “sister” weightlifters? Do NOT make “cutesy” little peeps and “aren’t I sweet and helpless” sighs and squeals while lifting!!! Oh PUH-lease!!!

In the locker room. The benches are small, and lots of us are trying to get ready for the 530pm class, can you NOT spread out your entire wardrobe on the one tiny bench allowed for 14 locker users?
Oh and wipe your damn feet at the door, there is an outside grate, and an inside grate, an inside carpet, and a flight of stairs before the locker room, how can you manage to still bring so much sand in here???

Thank you OP I needed that!!!

125? That’s not all that much, I start out at 2-45 pound plates (one each side, not sure what the bar weighs?) and work my way up to 2-45s, +2-35s, +4(2 each side)25s (I’m really bad at math, but I think that’s 345?).

I was a gymnast/dancer in high school and have been dancing since about age 10, so the legs are very strong. Now granted, once I get to the last set with the whole 300something, I’m red in the face and struggling, but it’s doable.

I think maybe one or both of you are confusing Leg Extentions (I’m guessing thats what Leg Lifts are) with Leg Press.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/LVLegExtension.html
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SL45LegPress.html

One more, (sorry, this rant has been long overdue!!).

People who change in the bathrooms instead of the locker rooms. ??? What’s up with THAT?? Do you think it’s your own private dressing room?

Newsflash!! There are only 2 bathrooms in the upstairs weightroom areas, we need them to go to the bathroom!! Why are you in there changing into your clothes? It’s pretty ridiculous that you come to the gym to workout, but are then too lazy to walk down one flight of stairs to the locker room to change!!!

Ditto for you dunderheads that park in nonparking areas so you can be close to the gym door. Sheesh!!!

And don’t get me started on the smokers who stand directly in front of the gym door the nano-second they get outside the gym.

Oops, sorry that was 3.