[QUOTE=MGibson]
I happened to catch a large chunk of a conversation my father and I had back in 1996.
[/QUOTE]
A few years ago another friend’s mom died unexpectedly, and I went up to Pittsburgh to stay with my friend so she wouldn’t be alone at her place. Her stepfather and brother (and his fiancee) were around, but they were all staying at her stepfather’s place. My friend had been doing mostly ok, no major breakdowns or anything, until one morning when we were supposed to meet everyone for breakfast before going over to the funeral home: we were running a little late, and while I was getting dressed my friend called her stepfather to let him know. I came out of the bedroom to find my friend sitting at her kitchen table and sobbing. I asked what happened, and she looked up at me and said, “I don’t have any recordings of my mom or her voice … I forgot about the damn answering machine.”
[QUOTE=nonacetone]
I also found a picture of my grandmother’s grandmother…the only problem with the picture, is that it is a picture of her grandmother IN HER COFFIN.
[/QUOTE]
That’s so funny: the same friend from the story with the answering machine took a few pictures of her mother in the coffin! She told me she planned to do it, and asked me if I thought it was too morbid. She said that she just had this feeling that she really wanted a picture of her mom in her coffin, but she was worried what people would think. I told her not to worry one bit, that it was her mother (we both knew that her brother would understand), and that she should do whatever she thought she needed to.
[QUOTE=cazzle]
I’ve kept Christmas and birthday cards from my grandparents. It’s interesting to see Grandfather’s style get more minimalistic as the years go by - the earlier ones say “Dear Carol, from Grandfather”, the later ones simply say “Grandfather”. I guess he felt like he didn’t have time to waste?
[/QUOTE]
I haven’t kept any cards, but my grandfather did that, too! In fact, sometimes he gets confused about who he’s sending the card to (he’s 91) and I’ve even gotten one or two that were signed “Uncle Victor.”
You’ve inspired me: if I get one from him for my birthday next month, I’m keeping it. He’s my last living grandparent, and won’t be around much longer.
[QUOTE=Missy2U]
When I lived at home, my dad and I used to leave notes for each other every once in awhile…
I still have them in a cookie jar and reread them now and then - I miss him…
[/QUOTE]
When I was little (like grade school), my mom worked nights for a while and we used to write notes to each other. I’d write a note to her and leave it on the music stand in my room before I went to bed, and when I got up in the morning her reply would be on the back. I’ve kept most (if not all) of them, and I have no plans to get rid of them. The “newest” one is now easily 20 years old. I can’t imagine how much they’ll make me miss her when she’s gone.
[QUOTE=Carl Corey]
She went in her sleep, and my poor dad found out when he woke up next morning, in the same bed. :eek: 
[/QUOTE]
That happened to one of my mom’s friends! His wife died suddenly, and in their bed (and young: she was only 42 or so). There is no good way to discover that your spouse is dead, but that’s gotta be right up there among the top worst ways. 