Noticing Toes?

Ok, I have a roomie who just came back from some sort of shopping spree for a formal dress and some open-toed heels. She has been complaining about her toe shape/size ( which makes me wonder why she bought open-toed shoes). Other roomies broke out their open-toed shoes and we compaired toes.

My toes are kind of even in width and curl slightly with a gentle down slope starting with my big toe. Some of my roomies on the other hand, have skinny-knoby toes where the second toe sticks out above (is taller than) their big toe! I find this freakish, but a lot of people have that too. Am I weird or is there a reason to this toe thing? :confused:

For monkeys, I’d think that having a longer index toe than big toe would be good for the same reason that we have a longer index finger than thumb. However, for walking upright and balance, I think it’d be better to have a big strong big toe.

So then people like you and me are obviously more evolved than the long index toe freaks. :wink:

I’m more interested in toenail shapes. My pinky toenails are practically nonexistant, and my big fat toe toenails tend to get ingrown if I don’t clip them regularly. That seems counter-evolutionary. The other toenails are normal sized compared to my fingernails.

For monkeys, I’d think that having a longer index toe than big toe would be good for the same reason that we have a longer index finger than thumb. However, for walking upright and balance, I think it’d be better to have a big strong big toe.

So then people like you and me are obviously more evolved than the long index toe freaks. :wink:

I’m more interested in toenail shapes. My pinky toenails are practically nonexistant, and my big fat toe toenails tend to get ingrown if I don’t clip them regularly. That seems counter-evolutionary. The other toenails are normal sized compared to my fingernails.

Hey! My first double post! I feel so special.

One per two hundred isn’t bad…

That long second toe is a genetic marker for intelligence and charm. If you have it, you will live a happy, fulfilling life, and be remembered with love. If you don’t, you are doomed. And no, cosmetic toe lengthening surgery cannot change your destiny, sorry.

:smiley:

I don’t think there’s a “reason” other than genetics. My mother and I have toes like Molly Coddle’s, with the big toe being longest, while my sister and my father have the long second toe. My husband has the long second toe as well.

I don’t know if the long second toe is more common, but it seems to be to me. I remember the first time I noticed the difference. I was looking at other people’s feet during swimming lessons, and noticed to my dismay that I was the only one there who still had “baby-looking” toes. Well, they still look like that, but it doesn’t bother me anymore.

:smiley:

So how come, looking at my feet, my right foot has a second toe longer than the big toe, but my left foot has a second toe shorter than the big toe? What kind of freak thing is that? The right second toe is a whole quarter inch longer than its left-sided counterpart.