Now Halloween turns political!

No candy unless you support MY candidate for president!

Basically, the woman wouldn’t give candy to anyone who supported Obama. What the FUCK? Is she TRYING to get her house egged?

Oh well. At least she wasn’t passing out Chick tracts.

:rolleyes:

And a thin scream issues from the local McCain volunteer headquarters.

Good. Lord.

What a wonderful neighbor she is! No “handouts” for you, proto-terrorist!

A whole new depth of wingnuttery right there.

My boys decided to put Obama stickers on their costumes. They said that a couple of houses gave them extra candy after commenting on their stickers, but nobody denied them any. My oldest son said that a couple of people gave them hard stares, but that was it.

I’m mildly irritated at you for letting them. Halloween has nothing to do with politics. If your kids are old enough to understand the meaning of the Obama stickers, then they’re too old for trick-or-treating. If they’re not, then it was your responsibility to not allow them to do it.

I think I just might cry myself to sleep with your irritation. My boys are 13 and 7 - it’s probably my oldest’s last trick or treat experience, but it’s not like he was particularly atypical around here.

If they want to wear Obama stickers, I’m not going to stop them. Why should their expression of their political belief do anything to mar the true spirit of Halloween? Besides, we all got a kick out of the “orc warriors for Obama”.

The kids can’t vote anyway . . .

I suspected so.

Lots of 13-year-old Halloweening kids were wearing political stickers?

Frankly, that’s a failure on your part. It was a good teaching opportunity on how not everything in the world has to do with politics. Well, unless, of course, you think it does.

Oh, it’s not the first time Hentor has used his kids to try to advance his political viewpoint, and I don’t expect it will be the last.

Frankly, I’ve seen the same from your side as well; it’s just Hentor’s turn in the barrel.

I try, not always successfully, to nail my side for ethically questionable actions as much as I do yours - for fairness, albeit with less glee. :slight_smile:

http://www.anytimecostumes.com/costumes/mskp.html

Yes? I wouldn’t buy my (hypothetical) children any of those.

Truly a Scylla-esque stab at intentional obtuseness. Sad to see in someone not of his ilk. Of course you recognized that I was responding to your charge that my kids must be too old to trick or treat.

This is really a daft fucking opinion. There’s a yard sign in our yard that’s there everyday. We didn’t take it down for Halloween, or Labor Day, or Steeler Sundays, or anything.

There’s no shame in supporting a candidate, nor is it a matter of life and death to do so. That’s the lesson I’d prefer to teach my kids.

ETA: Is there really anyone else who regards my children wearing an Obama sticker, or my allowing them to do so, as “ethically questionable”? I’m just curious - I’ll continue to have no problem with it, but I’m really scratching my head that anyone would raise such a pathetically stupid charge. Except of course for Urine Stream, and now Frank.

But the fact that they have them up there indicates that they think people will buy them.

Halloween has always been political. People dress up as present or former politicians, or as (humorous) representations of issues. Usually, though, to my knowledge, that’s where it stops.

Halloween has always been political.
“Trick or treat.” :slight_smile:

Well, I think enough time has passed that the Nixon one wouldn’t be seen as political so much as humorous. (Although what kid would want to be Nixon?)

The Ahhnold mask could work for the Terminator, maybe, or something like that, perhaps.
Now, as for the OP? Hello?

Adults do, who should have nothing to do with Halloween. Perhaps there lies my problem. Halloween is for kids.

I don’t care if Hentor leaves his political signs up 365 days a year. It is, however, inappropriate to teach his kids that secular holidays for kids are for demonstrating their parent’s beliefs. If Hentor can convince me that his seven-year-old is politically literate to the extent that he/she knows what marching aroung with an Obama sign on their - what? a witch? a princess? a prince or the Terminator? - costume, perhaps I’ll reconsider.

He can’t prove that anymore than the Republicans who drag their seven-year-old kids along to a Palin rally can.

Opinion. Historically, Halloween is NOT just for kids. Modern-day, Halloween is not just for kids.

Do you know many gay men? Halloween is the gay Christmas. If Halloween were only for kids, they wouldn’t MAKE adult costumes.

Frankly, and don’t take this personally, but I find the whole “Politicizing Halloween is some kind of 8th deadly sin or something” attitude to be way out there.

But it’s hardly accurate to say Halloween has nothing to do with politics. Or “shouldn’t,” for that matter either. What does politics have to do with your car? Or your front lawn? Yet people place bumper stickers and lawn signs out. If somebody wants to put on a political message on Halloween, let 'em. And let 'em understand there may be consequences, the way assholes might key your car or steal your sign.

That woman in the link for example, is now known across the Detroit area as “that nasty old lady who wouldn’t give kids candy on Halloween” and as Guin pointed out, is probably going to be the target of eggs, toilet paper, and cold shoulders for years to come. I’m not terribly surprised it was in Grosse Pointe Farms. Those people are uptight.

“Ethically questionable” is much too strong a way of putting it, IMHO, but since you asked my opinion, I’m willing to say that it seems to me that it would have been in better taste to gently discourage it. “Not today; you’re trick-or-treating, not canvassing door-to-door for Obama” might be the way to express it.

Wearing political buttons or stickers on a trick-or-treat costume seems akin to wearing them at, say, a wedding. Sure, I understand wanting to express your views, but this particular event has nothing to do with politics, and you’ll probably be interacting with a number of people who feel differently from you, and is there really any point in gratuitously introducing politics into this situation?

Besides, many people won’t realize that wearing the stickers was your children’s idea rather than yours. It will look as though you’re deliberately using your children as billboards to advertise your own political views, which is in really bad taste.

I agree that the “orc warriors for Obama” concept is funny, though, and if your kids had been attending a specifically political event with a Halloween theme, wearing the stickers on their costumes would most definitely have been appropriate.

Except when my child wants to put a sticker on his costume.

My oldest son, by the way, decided that he wanted to buy these stickers from the Obama campaign himself. He chose to grab them on the way out the door, and chose to put one on his orc costume.

It was Batman. And of course he didn’t decide to do it because he prefers progressive tax structures. He did it because his big brother did it and he thought it was cool.