NYC (or NY/NJ/CT Metro Area) Dopefest - 7/21

I’d be interested in coming. I’ve spent this whole semester abroad hanging out with “internet people” (from SomethingAwful) and had a great time :slight_smile:

I might be up for it, but is there any way it could be not in Brooklyn? It’s such a schlep for the Queens contingent.

I know you can’t please all the people all the time, maybe I should pipe down.

I’d love to come! I live very, very close to Zebra, apparently.

A schlep for the Queens contingent? I’d come, from Albany, but why do they always have to be on a Sunday? It’s a long way back on Sunday evening, and I have to work the next day.

I was planning to come to the Jersey Dopefest too but it was the Sunday after I was away for five days and my flight was delayed coming back thus extending it to six days and I just didn’t have it in me.

What time would this whole thing be planned for? Rather not have to be driving that late on Sunday night.

I live about two blocks from the Clinton Washinton stop on the G train.

Anaamika, you can come down on Saturday and spend the night with me.
And I mean any Saturday, not just the one befor the mini doopefest.

I would attend if it’s not a noisy venue. (I can’t follow conversations or participate in them unless it’s moderately quiet)

Sounds like you are up near the Brooklyn Bridge. Is that right?

For the other Jersey Dopers, we could meet at a rest stop on the Jersey side and take one car over.

Jim

A bit of way from the Brooklyn Bridge.

High St./Brooklyn Bridge is the first train stop on the C in Brooklyn. Clinton/Washington is the 5th.

If you look at the MTA subway map, I live between the C and the G line.

Driving over, I would cross at the Manhattan Bridge, go to Fulton Street, turn left and take that to Clinton AVE.

AVENUE, not Clinton Street which in is Red Hook Brooklyn.

But we are fast approaching the limit my apt can hold.

So maybe we should pick something else.
There are lots of outdoor screenings and other free events. I’ll start searching.

Maybe a picnic in a park or even a picnic and the Central Park Zoo or some such mix?

Sounds interesting. Put me in as tentative. I now have a month to lose 40 pounds :eek:

I’m all for a park picnic. I could bring two small charcoal grills (propane not allowed), but note that park parties are supposed to be alcohol-free (NYC rules). Central Park, near the zoo, would be great.

Ok, Zebra has kindly offered to put me up for the night should I want to come the day before. That way at least I don’t have to drive both ways in one day.

Now, I’ve done that before, too, so depending on what the time frame is I may even end up driving there & back in one day. But I’ll decide that closer to the day.

Put me down as a 65% sure for the moment. July 22nd, right?

I’ll need directions though. Remember, Albany has 100,000 people. It’s a medium town at best, and NYC is dreadfully confusing! Either way it might be better if I met up with someone and let them drive in town, if you want me to get there on time anyway.

And I would LOVE to go to Central Park. I don’t get enough opportunity to do so.

Was just looking up where one can grill in Central Park. Answer is - nowhere. Designated barbecue areas in Manhattan:
Alfred E. Smith Park - Catherine Street at Cherry Street
East River Park - Along FDR Drive at E. 10th and E. 6th Streets
Highbridge Park - At 175th Street and Amsterdam Avenue
Inwood Hill Park - Dyckman Ballfields at Dyckman Street & Hudson River
Marcus Garvey Park - 124th Street at 5th and Madison Avenues
Randall’s Island - At the far end of Sunken Meadow ballfields
Riverside Park - Above 145th Street
St. Nicholas Park - St. Nicholas Terrace at St. Nicholas Avenue & West 128th Street, and at 133rd Street
Thomas Jefferson Park - At 112th Street
Wards Island - East River & Hell Gate (near the children’s playground)

Of course, there can still be a grill free picnic. I would suggest the Arthur Ross Pinetum area or the Cedar Hill area. Cedar Hill would be closer to the Central Park Zoo and both are about equal distance from the Metropolitan Museum of Art on East side and the Museum of Natural History on the West side.

If this blossoms big enough (more than 20), I would suggest getting a permit and maybe even reserving a space.

Anaamika, you’re probably better off not driving to New York City. It’s not a good place for driving and parking is very difficult. You’re much better off leaving your car somewhere farther upstate and taking the train in.

Personally I would recommend that you park at a convenient Metro-North station and take the train into the city. I grew up in NYC and wouldn’t drive in Manhattan for love or money.

Poughkeepsie, maybe? Weekend parking is free there, as is true commonly – but I don’t think universally – throughout the system. You can see the whole route map here:
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm
Off-peak one-way fare Poughkeepsie - Grand Central Terminal is $12.75 and lord knows you can’t park for that price in NYC

I moved to the City earlier this month and I’d love to finally make it to a Dopefest. I think I can do that weekend.

Yeah, I was already considering doing something like that. I’ve driven plenty in NYC and even parked there - one reason why I love my Corolla - but it’s not exactly easy, nor fun.
There’s trains from Albany, too, though I was really considering the bus. I love the idea of a train, but looking at the prices, both are fairly expensive. I mean, it’s $73 via bus to go from Albany, and something like $90 to go via train.

From Kingston on it’s $3 on the Greyhound.

I can’t seem to get any info for Newburgh or Poughkeepsie online. How annoying.

However, Amtrak from Poughkeepsie to NYC only seems to be $24 or $35. Hmm. I guess I do live from away.

Someone would have to pick me up from Penn Stattion, though, or at least give me some idea if there is a bus or something.
\

D’oh! I just noticed the link. Checking it now.

I’m a mid-Westchester Doper, and can meet people at either station if they need a hand getting from point A to B.

Count me in.

Check the Metro North trains. I’ll meet you at the station.