Obscure cult movies you were unimpressed with

5 Million Years: Liked this very much; it’s one of those slow-moving British sci-fi movies, so you’ve got to realize that it’s not slam-bang action. I’ve also seen the television serial version, which also is leisurely-paced fun.

Barbarella: Disliked it. Good imagery, poor story.

Big Lebowski: Okay, but I’ve been meaning to rewatch it for years and haven’t got around to it, which is indicative.

Office Space: Trite, with a few good scenes. Too timid.

Robot Monster: Ohmigod boring. But it did have a little bondage scene, so some points for that.

Plan Nine from Outer Space: Entertaining; could have used more Vampira :wink:

I used to play Janet too but the group broke up and when I tried going years later, had a similarly bad experience. In my case it was a bunch of goth kids half my age smoking in the lobby and not bothering to go in and watch the film.

My husband enjoys when I do the call and response at home.

Edit: meant to add Audition. I wasn’t impressed.

I had many opportunities to go over the decade or so it was fashionable, but as it got more and more “in-group” (like Parrotheads) I got less and less interested.

However, I had a co-worker who was talked into going by a group of hardcore friends, and they just happened to go on something like the third anniversary of the film release, and he was the only person in the house not in costume. Just thinking about his deadpan story of the evening is giving me the uncontrollable giggles.

It was a French comic strip by Jean-Claude Forest. Actually quite avant-garde for its time.

The Man From Earth It has been recommended several times on this board and I hated it. So boring. It might have been interesting as a short, but as a full length movie it really drags. I’m shocked it was only 89 minutes. I could have sworn it was as long as a Lord of the Rings movie.

Donnie Darko. I hate that movie.

Amen. Ditto anything that Wes Anderson person did.

But what I came in for was Meet the Feebles. I don’t know how such a director could make Heavenly Angels, but judging by the director’s CV since, it kind of makes sense.

Creatures. Heavenly Creatures they were. Melanie Lynskey, Kate Winslet.

Yay, another Wes Anderson hater!

And yeah, Rocky Horror is only as impressive as the audience. I was at one show where I actually got shushed for doing call-outs; not the best performance. Other ones I’ve been to have been sublime, as audience members throw out new and topical jokes (One favorite routine: “Pleasure’s not a crime,” Frankenfurter says, and someone shouts, “It is in North Carolina!” and someone else says, “It’s only a misdemeanor: de more I miss it, de meaner I get!”) Kind of vaudevilley when it’s going well.

My entry: Wax, or the Invention of Television Amongst the Bees. I’ve seen a lot of pretentious tripe, but this one took the cake.

I saw Liquid Sky about 20 years ago when I was in college. I didn’t really get it.

Repo! The Genetic Operashould have been awesome, but it was really rather meh. And I can’t blame it on an unenthusiastic audience. I saw it at a special showing with the writer and director and a Q&A and lots of hyped up goth kids.

All I could think, listening to them bitch on and on about how they couldn’t get a distributor because mainstream movie studios don’t appreciate the poor misunderstood gothic subculture was, “No, they don’t appreciate a movie which is a muddled mess.”

I think Peter Ranier nailed it in his review: “Like a compost of Rocky Horror and Sweeney Todd, but without the floridity or the savage wit.”

I’ve never worked and I enjoyed Office Space. The gf angle was weak though.

ooooh, I know. Has anyone seen REPO! The Genetic Opera? The singing is awful and the story line is predictable. Plus Paris Hilton is in it, need I say more?

edit: Ahhhh crap, beaten to it!

The worst thing about that movie was that Paris Hilton wasn’t the worst thing about that movie.

LOLZ. The worst thing for me was the singing. Just awful

I have a feeling that The Master (2012) will turn into a cult movie in the future. I hated it, but it seems like the sort of thing that will end up in that genre.

I agree with Big Lebowski and Darko.

It didn’t bore me silly. I only watched it long to get really bored, about twenty minutes. Which was about twenty minutes after it started to get boring.

ETA: Blue Velvet. I lasted 45 minutes before deciding that it was boring and not nearly as odd as I had heard. But it also started out boring.

I know one that really disappointed me. Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog. They had me until the last episode and then I was pissed. There was a serious :eek: WTF??? on my face.

Well, hate is a little strong for me – good for him, making his own movies, I guess. Like any mediocre art, the worst is watching the reacting of his groupies. Kind of nauseating. He might become a producer of other people’s movies, though – maybe that’s a good spot for him to end up.

I’ll cop to not ever enjoying Inland Empire by Lynch – I don’t know if it’s a cult picture or not, but certainly a vile picture. Eraserhead? Why do people like it? The girl in the radiator, for me. I don’t know anyone who’s seen Twin Peaks (the series) more than twice (that’d be me) but it is valid as a lengthy preamble to the film-length little prequel (or whatever you call it).

Surprised at the Lebowski blowback – I don’t go to festivals wearing a bathrobe and shades or anything, but I pull that one out every few years for a laugh or two. Now Miller’s Crossing I don’t get so much – a very fine movie, but it seems to get really outsized admiration. Personally, I think people are missing the irony of the picture, but to each his own.

Isn’t that what really defines a cult movie? Not necessarily something about the picture itself, but a really outsized monomania. Like kids and the [Scarface remake or what have you.

First Joss Whedon thing, eh?