Official 83rd Academy Awards thread

Not only the awkward banter, but the bits of history. I love movie history, and the montages they usually include in these shows. But the history they’ve included so far - Gone With the Wind, the fleeting reference to the 1929 Oscars - have just felt half-assed and misplaced. :frowning:

P.S. - Nice acceptance by the King’s Speech screenwriter.

And the Academy Award for best acceptance speech goes to…
:smiley:

Yeah, the producer’s plan backfired. They wanted to do the screenplay awards early this year in order to get the buzz going for best picture, since the ACTUAL best picture of the year usually wins it.

Yeah, almost like a throwaway. Who’s the director this year?

Anne has some decent pipes!

Good singing Anne.

easiest one of the night. That speech was written and practiced 1000 times.

I thought James would be more comfortable in drag!

I missed the context…what’s the reasoning behind setting a comic song to the tune of a 20-year-old Broadway song whose show wasn’t even made into a movie musical yet, let alone made into one this past year?

Foreign Language Film: In A Better World (Denmark)

I haven’t seen that. I only saw Biutiful.

is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble understanding folks tonight? I know about Kirk Douglas’ reason, but most of these folks sound mumbled and muffled.

No real context was given…just that she’d planned to sing a duet with Jackman and he backed out…? I’m guessing they did a duet last year? If so, I don’t remember it.

I look forward to seeing Russell Brand as Mick Fleetwood in The Fleetwood Mac Story. What a scarecrow.

Christian Bale with the beard at the ceremony looks like the actor in Winter’s Bone.

Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale - The Fighter

Christian Bale? Really?

On edit: I don’t think that was the best choice, even though I like him a lot.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t seen The Fighter so I really can’t comment, but I was really hoping for John Hawkes. He was great in Winter’s Bone. I had to keep reminding everyone watching it with me that he (along with the rest of the cast) are ACTORS, not actual redneck ozark crack addicts.

Speaking of which, didn’t Christian Bale play a crack addict too?

Really? to your really. Bale has won most of the awards to this point. Completely unsurprising win.

It’s about time that guy won an Oscar, but this is the first time he’s been nominated! I’m still blown away by that.