Official 83rd Academy Awards thread

Bale joins Caped Crusader alumni Nicholson, Walken, Palance, Clooney, T.L.Jones, Freeman, Caine, & Ledger in winning in this category.

Did Christian Bale actually just blank on his wife’s name? That’s going to be a cold bed tonight.

yeah, the fact he wasn’t even nominated for American Psycho still surprises me.

Now that’s what I call an impressive command of film trivia. I salute you, sir.

Yes, he was. And he was CRAZY good in that movie. He deserved the win.

I didn’t see it. What did he say?

Yes, and it was a character completely unlike himself. I saw both The Fighter and Winter’s Bone, and while I think Hawkes was good, Bale was even better.

I thought he was starting to choke up so he stopped talking. But I’m not recording it so I can’t go back and re-watch.

It sorta’ sounded like that, but I think he just chocked up.

I don’t know if he actually blanked on the name, or if he just became overcome with emotion. When he started speaking again his voice was shaky and tearful.

Why, what work do you think he should have been nominated for? 3:10 to Yuma maybe, but I can’t think of anything else. Don’t get me wrong though, I think he is top notch as an actor, he just hasn’t had the roles…

If you change best to most in the category titles, especially in the acting categories, it’ll help figure out who the Academy will vote for.

Something along the lines of “…and finally, my wife…[draws blank]…my lovely wife…[still nothing]…” He finally kind of tailed off, and I don’t think he ever came up with the name.

Hugh Jackman. I could watch him do anything. Rowr!

I was watching my AMAZING RACE recording; what song did Anne sing, please?

Hmmm American Psycho? I have not seen that, I have to add it to netflix

Yeah, I thought he blanked at first too, but then realized he choked up. He said “I didn’t think I’d be like this.”

I too thought Bale should have been nominated for American Psycho.

I’m the biggest (and earliest!) supporter of Winter’s Bone on the SDMB, but Bale deserved it. I’m just happy that Hawkes was nominated.

I’m almost certain it was this. He seemed very emotional at that point.

Wow, David Seidler is an awesome person. He was a stutterer himself, and was inspired by King George’s story to overcome it. He contacted the Queen and asked for her permission to adapt their story for the screen. She granted him permission, but only after she died. “and then she had the good fortune to live…for another 30 years”.

“and I’m just happy that Queen Elizabeth hasn’t sent me to the tower of London for putting the F-word into her father’s mouth for the world to see”

Sweet. Reznor gets an Oscar.