[QUOTE=SetApart]
Well … as far as I know, it’s not a laugh track. Back in March, a friend of mine and I went to a taping of Two and A Half Men. (The episode was “Mr. McGlue’s Feedbag”, in case you’re curious.) Watching the episode in May, the laughter sounded much the same on TV as it sounded live. I don’t doubt they did a bit of sweetening, but it is indeed filmed before a live audience, and we really did laugh a lot.
Personally, I had only seen the show once when we went to the taping, but it was all we could get tickets for on that night. I DID find it funny, and the warm-up comedian in the audience did a great job keeping the energy up. They did at least three takes of every scene before moving on to the next one, so we were laughing at jokes we’d heard before, but they often changed the timing and the wording, so it was somewhat fresh for us. (In fact, this was my favorite part – watching the writers huddle between takes if a scene didn’t get the laughs they wanted.)
A couple of the scenes had been filmed the day before, but they played them for us on monitors and recorded our reaction. (The scenes they played for us had 40+ extras (in the DMV) or were in a car, so would have been difficult to film in front of the audience.)
Incidentally, Jon Cryer directed that episode, and did a great job on set. His fiancee was there, too … very attractive woman.
And as for whether they actually USED our laughter – well, yes, I’m pretty sure they did. During the taping, the world’s most annoying girl sat right behind us, and made some odd noises and random claps. Someone came from the booth and fussed at her row for making sounds that would stand out.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for that interesting info, SetApart. Seeing a live taping of a show is something I’ve always wanted to do but haven’t had the opportunity. Maybe annoying girl tried to stand out so she could hear herself on the broadcast and tell her friends she was on national TV! Hah!
Two and a Half Men is now officially on my list of summer shows to watch. When the Sox aren’t on, of course. 