Oh, great. Now I'm fuggin' fifty!

It seems like just yesterday I was 40.

Mentally I don’t feel any different than I did 10 years ago, or 33 years ago for that matter. I stayed up all last night drinking some beer my sons bought me and watched South Park.

Physically there were some changes. And some major life events:

I’m a Grandpa now. When I was 40 I didn’t think I would only be 50 when one of my kids had kids.

I took a full retirement from the PD back in 2007. I was one of the last to have gotten into the 25 and out pension plan back in the 80’s. At 40 I didn’t think I would bail right at the 25 year mark, but major changes in departmental structure made things a little too intense. I said “That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more!”
I took a part-time patrol gig with another agency just to stay in the game.

A couple of years ago, after all our kids were gone we sold our house and moved into a smaller one that we have owned for many years and were renting out.

My wife and I completed our goal of visiting all 50 states.

I’ve noticed that as my friends age they seem to become more religious. Not me.
I still actually believe in “god” but only as a creator. Contrary to popular belief I am more of a deist than an atheist. Things are a little too precise for them to have happened by accident, so I believe that “something” created us. But that’s as far as I’ll go. Talking snakes, devils, angels, and gods zombie son saving us all is the most ridiculous crock of shit I’ve ever heard of.

I have a lot more nieces and nephews now. My mother is still alive (my Pop died in 1990)

I had a pretty serious health scare in July of 2009. They actually told my wife I might not make it. They were wrong. Don’t count me out until you see them putting the box into the hole. And then only maybe.

So, while being another year removed from my youth and another year closer to my inevitable demise doesn’t aid my comfort, it sure does beat the alternative!

Meet me here for another birthday thread in 10 years.

Happy birthday, pkbites! Sounds like you’re in a pretty good place. And your life sounds very full and wonderful.

Moved from IMHO to MPSIMS.

samclem, Moderator

It’s a deal! Happy birthday and all that.

Wishing you a good day, a good year and a great life. Happy Birthday. (I turn 49 a week from tomorrow - send cards!)

Beats the alternative.

Happy Birthday, pkbites.

I’m 48 and while I’m not in the same personal/family/retirement situation, I’m definitely there on the “don’t feel any different” thing. I work with a bunch of 20-somethings. On one hand, I’d love to hang out and party with them. On the other hand, I’m twice their ages and it just makes it too creepy. I don’t want to be the old guy who tries to keep up with the kids, or who has to keep ignoring the “Who is the old dude and why is HE here?” comments.

When you’re 20, 50 is an eternity away. You’ve only just become an adult, you may have been out of highschool for 2 years. When you’re pushing 50, it’s like “But this is nothing. Why do I have to be old(ish) already? Why can’t I have another 50 years?”

Heh, I’m turning 50 in a couple of weeks. I’ve been told I basically look the same as I always have, albeit without the graying hairs. Feel the same, too. It’s just a number.

Happy Birthday!

I’m 51 now. Isn’t our perception of age odd. I, too, don’t feel any different than I did in my 20’s…well maybe fatter and wiser. My circle of friends range from 25 to 70. Age just isn’t important.

In contrast, my g/f will be turning 40 in a year and a half and she’s already freaking out about it. I think it’s more about where you are in your life rather than a chronological age.

Welcome to the club, pkbites. May your 50’s be your best decade yet! :slight_smile:

Nothing wrong with being 50. Doubt I’ll be seeing grandkids any time soon (I’d better not, really, what with my older kid being 11…). Enjoy!

PKBITES,
Happy Birthday!

In my teens life was chaotic, as it always is for teens…
In my 20’s I was fighting in Vietnam…
In my 30’s I was married with kids, job working nights, mortgage…
In my 40’s I was the dad of two very active teens with college expenses…
In my 50’s I was divorced & retired…
In my 60’s I’m a grandpa, a great grandpa, with a great lady, and HAPPY!
I enjoyed every decade, each had their happiness and their sorrow.
Looking forward to my 70’s!!!

In another ten years you will have either become a religious whacko, or will have abandoned the stupid notion altogether (as I did). I figure by the time I’m 70, I’ll be setting fire to churches.

Happy Birthday old man!

I almost know the feeling. I woke up this morning feeling awfully 49ish. It was a little depressing at first, but everyone has been so cool to me that I think I’m going to enjoy this age.

And to think I wrote this parody about being in my 40’s. What am I going to write about my 50’s?:eek:

Take me down to old folks city, where the nurses are mean and the service is shitty?