Oh my FUCKING GOD! (Burns.)

Jesus FUCK I cannot believe what I did. You know how once you put a skillet in the oven it gets really hot, and then you put it back on the stove and only a FUCKING MORON would forget and grab the handle?

I just today read a helpful tip to stick a potholder on the handle in that situation so you don’t forget! Brilliant idea!, I said.

Do you have any idea what it feels like to flash fry all three of the last fingers on your right hand? Let me explain it this way - it hurt so bad I went deaf in that ear for a minute. I ran cold water on it for five minutes and thought it was okay, and I took it out and it was okay, and them 10 seconds later it SCREAMS. My pinkie tip, specifically. I’ve been letting it sit in cool water for a good fifteen minutes now and the pain is trying to sneak through. No blistering, but some swelling, and of course it’s on my hand, which is bad. This might mean an ER trip. A really STUPID fucking ER trip.

You know what a smart, cautious girl I am? I have never been to the ER. I have never had stitches, never broken a bone, never needed ANY medical attention, and now I do such a grade-A moron thing!

But you know the worst part? DINNER STILL ISN’T DONE.

Fuck fuck FUCK fuckity fuck.

Yesterday, I was making myself some pop tarts, and set the toaster so high it caramelized the frosting. I’ve got a big ol’ blister on my index finger from molten pop-tart frosting. But what really hurt was that I ruined the pop tarts, and they were the last two in the box.

On the plus side, my entire apartment smells deliciously of maple and brown sugar.

it must not be much fun trying to type in that condition.

I have done this so many times I can’t even remember, and boy does it hurt. If someone could invent a handle that turned red when it was hot they’d make a fortune.

I admire your swearing ability.

Oh yeah. I took the fingerprints off three of my fingers a couple of months ago. The skin is completely healed now completely healed now, but they still feel funny. Burns are the worst.

Oh, Hon, I’m so sorry for ya, that’s a painful bitch of a hurt. And, no, not just you…I’ve done it before, grabbing a hot pan, when, after working in pro kitchens, shoulda known better…

My dear Hon did that last month, grabbing the handle of a skillet put into the oven, just didn’t register as HOT because of dealing with it stovetop. It burnt his fingers, to the point of CAN"T TALK!!! tears. We did the cool water thing, then, because we have it here, sliced up some aloe leaves and wrapped it around the fingers. It really helped, and was better by morning, healed fine. Sounds like yours is worse, though, so hie on off and get good treatment.

Muy sympathy, it’s an awful pain.

I often deliberately handle hot (but not super hot) things if only to give my hands the asbestos skin that chefs seem to have. Who wouldn’t want the ability to handle hot things with little or no pain?

I’m getting quite good at it. I can pick up a tray seconds after it’s been in a hot oven for between half and one hour.

By the way, the emergency room? ALSO SUCKS.

and maybe a smidgen of blistering flesh…

in an accident at work over 20 years ago, I got second degree burns covering 2/3 of my torso. Let me point out that your torso includes your chest, which means every single fucking breath you take includes a high level of pain.
they gave me 2 shots of demerol at the ER. and a 24 hour supply of tylenol 3’s.

then cut off pain meds.:mad:

I feel your pain. burns are indeed the worst.

I hear ya. I was an idiot once and swapped a hot skillet from the potholder hand to the NOT potholder hand.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s an invention to fix that particular brainfart. :frowning:

Ouch! No fun! Sending a wish for quick healing your way.

I’ve blown glass many, many times. I’ve burnt my fingers in a big, bad way. You have my sympathy - that really, truly sucks ass.

FWIW, I’ve found that fresh cut aloe solves the problem pretty much over night. I may be a quick healer.

Now I want PopTarts.

Yeah, burns really suck because they hurt at first, and then sort of fade away…but then come back with a vengence and start REALLY hurting in about 5 or 10 minutes (and continue on hurting for awhile).

I used to work at KFC as the cook (I say THE cook and not A cook since I was the only one they had), so being around the deep fryers all day, I got my share of burns. One time I dropped a leg in too close to the grease and the whole tip of my middle finger went in. It didn’t stop hurting for a week or so.

My brilliant idea of roasting Marshmallow Peeps over an open fire was going swimmingly, until I accidentally stuck my thumb through the caramelized sugar coating shell. It was like napalm on a stick.

I did the EXACT SAME THING just last week! I still have a weird dried-out spot on my thumb, but the rest of the burn has healed fine.

I once set a stainless steel mixing bowl beside the BBQ, which was on high. Part of the bowl was over the heat. Some delicious things were in that bowl, and I picked it up (on the cool side) and held it to my face (blistering screaming hot side) to smell the food. Second degree burn on my chin. Hurt like a SOB, healed fast but I had an ugly reddish scar for months.

My sympathies! Hope you feel better soon.

I did the pop tart thing, too. Molten frosting is a real bitch.

My worst burn, however, came from me being a really fucking retarded college student who was stoned out of his gourd at the time. My friend had one of those flameless lighters, only it was rectangle and the front had a Jack on it (like the playing card), you slid it to the side to light it and revealed an Ace behind it (so a Black Jack, basically). Only my dumb ass didn’t notice I was holding the lighter upside down in my hand and when I opened it the “flameless” flame shot across the entire palm of my hand diagonally. I couldn’t take it off ice for more than 5 seconds without searing pain. The thing blistered like a bastard, too.

So yea, we all do really stupid shit every now and again, don’t feel too bad :wink:

Ouchies!

My pathetic story;

You know how fajitas are served on a smoking hot iron skillet? So hot that the wooden plate it sets on is blackened and charred? So hot that you can feel the heat radiating off of it from a foot away? So hot that if you don’t eat it quick, your food is burned before you finish it? Well, I sure as hell didn’t pick that up with my bare hands. Nosirree, not me. No way, no how. My mama didn’t raise no fools (except my younger brother, but that’s another story).

I just set my fork on it for 4 or 5 minutes while eating the first fajita I put together. And then decided to use that fork for some beans or rice or guacamole or something. Not that it matters what it was because I cauterized most of my taste buds with the Fiery Fork of holy Fuck that hurts!!! I think my actual words were “Movverfuffer, vats hot!”

On the plus side, I was forced to drink several frozen margaritas, for medicinal purposes of course. You should try it for your hand, it works wonders. :slight_smile: