Ohmigod -- is "The Family Circus" going to live on after Bil Keane?!

I keep thinking this should be a movie. Call it Kil Bil. :wink:

Somebody posted about this online cartoon, which is pretty darn funny.

Warning: Some of the material is NOT for kids, at all.

You Damn Kid

My fantasy is that son Jeff takes it in a different direction. Maybe he starts with Jeffy killing the other characters in a bloodbath, and leading into a much more interesting format . . .

As lame as Family Circus is, though, I have a much deeper hatred for other comics. “Mutts” and “Marmaduke” set the bar so low an ant couldn’t limbo underneath. I mean, even B.C. with its preaching and sometimes entirely absent jokes doesn’t hold a candle to Marmaduke burying a bone for the 58th week in a row for sheer suck-the-humor-out-of-the-room lameness.

When I was little I liked FC. I think it’s for little kids. (Although I have seen a FEW funny ones-where a saleswoman told Thel she didn’t work-surrounded by crying, sick kids and a messy house-and she slammed the door in her face).

Bizarro is still pretty decent.

But the day that Bill Watterson retired is the day the laughter died.

I only get the paper on Fridays so I just read the cartoons I like online. Many of them you can get sent to your email. Some of my faves:

9 Chickweed Lane mainly because I love how Brooke draws them she (he?) does some really cool angles and I cut them out just for that. Plus I love the cat.

Get Fuzzy I love Bucky (the cat).

The Other Coast because sometimes they come out with some really amusing one, though the rest of the time is sort of bland. One of my favourite panels was captioned 'Where the other sock goes" with an image of a peg leg pirate digging in the washing machine…

OING!

I never thought of it quite that way. However, I’ve always considered it one of life’s little ironies that bland, insipid, unfunny Family Circus inspired one of the edgiest humor phenomena on the intarweb. The DFC is teh funnay.

I’m surprised no one has yet brought up the utter crap that is “Cathy”. shudder

See me??? I’m a single woman! I am hopelessly obsessed with my weight! I dread trying on bathing suits! Store saleswomen are EVIL!!!

HA HA, look how funny I am!

That would be “he”.

Surely a simply programmed computer could take over when Bil Keane passes on? Someone’s got to have a old 486 PC lying around that’s just taking up space…

You should check out Pibgorn, his other strip.

Yeah, I can’t see how Family Circus can show it’s face on the same page as Boondocks! :wink:

Although I must admit, I had an amazing Family Circus “moment” once. My most beloved grandpa died on January 15, 1998. On the same day that his obituary was printed in the LA Times, Family Circus ran a scene showing Billy writing a note that read “Dear Grandpa- if you’re not too busy in heaven, could you get God’s autograph for me?” Or something similar.

Whoa. Hit me like a brick, but it was a cool coincidence too.

Well, here in KC, they remain separated by a page or two. Of course, that’s because the local paper has decided to segregate those comics that are “political”, so they get their own page. Except for Non Sequitur, which is on the regular page.

Oh, and Zippy is on the political page. Go figure.

From Go:

Here’s an amen from Stephan Pastis, , author of Pearls before Swine

Some good news. The St Louis Post-Dispatch has just dropped The Wizard of Id, which hasn’t been funny in 30 years, Dennis the Menace not funny in 40 years, and The Lockhorns not funny in a million years.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, well, why not? Zippy for God-Emperor!

Nah, then he’d never have time to commune with the remaining muffler men.

And that would be sad.

Peanuts sucked, too. It was never funny, and it was always the same. Don’t worry, I also hate Family Circus.

Relatively young compared with himself, perhaps. It’s not like it’s some kid doing it.

But isn’t it funny how Jeffy’s the one who gets the promotion to a co-byline? After all, it’s always been Billy who stepped in as a sub for papa Bil in the past.

So Bil is Johnny, Billy is Joan Rivers, and Jeffy is Jay Leno.

Ooo I’m gonna have to read that regularly too.

And thanks lawoot, when I see the name Brooke I want to say she, but you never can tell.

Amen to that. How anyone can think the Lockhorns, with its dated, sexist stereotypes could ever have been funny is beyond me. Dennis the Menace? Not funny either, and never has been (and IIRC is another strip that going to be ‘inherited’ when Hank Kesham (??) decides to retire.)

There will be no end to our pain, apparently.

Oh, I also find Fox Trot damn funny. Zits and Get Fuzzy also.