Ohyeh! I'm getting the new Harry Turtledove!

Including whether or not it’s actually a Colonisation (or Videssos) novel. Where di you get your info?

Homeward Bound is, I believe, a Colonization novel. HOMEward, get it? (The lizards call their home planet “home”)
I’m 8/9ths of the way through Settling Accounts and definitely enjoying it.

One thing I just noticed, though… “Irving Morrell”, a brilliant tank commander, has a name that is remarkably similar to “Erwin Rommell”, a real-life brilliant tank commander. This can’t be a coincidence. But I don’t know of any other characters who are named in such a fashion. Thoughts?
(Oh, and as soon as I finish this bad boy, I’m going to go buy Dies the Fire by S M Stirling.)

Here.

Fankoo, Santos. It’s nice to know that the cliffhanger is being resolved instead of Turtledove thinking “Erk…” and leaving it in limbo.

Max, please don’t be condescending. The title could have indicated a fifth Legion of Videssos novel, wherein Scaurus’s men find a way home and have to decide if they want to take it. (OK, not likely, but still.)

My book has not yet arrived. :frowning: Maybe tomorrow; I hope.

And in other news, Sam Carsten sunburns easily, Scipio knows how to talk like an educated white man, and Mary Pomeroy hates Americans.

Yeah, his characterization tends to be thinner now that he’s producing some much copy. It’s better for characters he fleshes out more like Flora Blackford, Cincinnatus Driver and Irving Morrell.

The thing that cracks me up is how often he says something like “…it never occurred to (white confederate character) to think of things from (black confederate character)'s perspective”. He loves pointing out things that would never occur to people.

UPS tried to deliver it while I was out! I thought it was coming through US Fail! Gah! Well, they’re going to make a second attempt tomorrow. Pleeeeeeeze let it be when either Mr. Rilch or myself is in!

She died so suddenly, though. Turtledove likes killing his characters off in this series, in such random ways That’s why I was surprised that, in the most recent book,

Hip Rodriguez lived.

I was really suprised when Anne Colleton got killed off so soon. I’d thought she’d be around a little while longer. Or at least there’d be one final showdown with Scipio. Yeah, I’m glad she’s dead also.

Which book was that in? Her dying doesn’t sound familiar.

Rand, if that was an unboxed spoiler for Return Engagement, I am going to egg your house.

It might not be… my memory isn’t what it used to be. If it is, I’ll help though.

She was very much alive at the end of Victorious Opposition.

Eh. I prefer his stand-alones to his series. That’s why I had him sign a First Edition of Ruled Britannia at Comic-Con this year. :smiley:

Oh, and if you meant help with the egging, Vons is selling 18-count cartons, 2 for $3. How’s your throwing arm?

Sonova…

I deeply apologize. I wasn’t thinking. If a mod could fix that for me, I’d appreciate it.

Well, fuck. It’s a good thing I’m not a total spoiler-phobe but knowing that does lessen my eventual enjoyment of the novel as she’s one of the series’ most integral characters. :frowning:

I really should not read threads on things I’m looking forward to but won’t be able to see or read for weeks.

:mad: Well, I’ll accept the apology, even though you actually spoiled two things by telling what doesn’t happen as well as what does.

:::splat::: :wally :frowning:

BTW, what’s “sonova”?

I have a dozen extra-large ones in my fridge that’re nearing their expiration date and could leave them out in the sun to hasten the process.