Ohyeh! I'm getting the new Harry Turtledove!

Settling Accounts: Return Engagement. Pre-ordered it from Amazon, and just got the confirmation e-mail. I may end up being wrong, of course, but I think this promises to be dope.

Anyone else have it/getting it? Anyone still interested? There was a fairly long thread last summer regarding American Empire: The Victorious Opposition.

I hate you and I hope your book gets lost in the mail. Okay, not really. I don’t want the book to get lost, only … diverted. :slight_smile:

I just finished “In The Presence of Mine Enemies”, one of his standalones, a few days ago so I’m even more excited to read “Settling Accounts” than I would be normally. I love Harry Turtledove in general and the “How Few Remain” saga in general. It’s quite possibly my most favorite series of books ever.

I reserved a copy at Barnes & Nobles, and I’ll be getting it tomorrow when I get money. I have been waiting since I picked up the series last August. The reviews on Amazon says it’s going to be good, but there are a lot of spoilers, just to warn you.

I was mad when they pushed the release of this book from April or May, to August 2nd. Oh well, the wait will be worth it.

I’ll probally finish this book in a day. Wow, I’m excited about a book like nothing before. What does that say about me? :wink:

I’m not reading any reviews. Last year, I Pitted myself for being dumb enough to read the Amazon review, thereby having four different things spoiled for me.

And Rand, I don’t know what it says about you, except that it says the same thing about me. Last week, someone at work noticed me looking wistfully at the calendar. “What’s goin’ on in August?..A book comes out?..Jeez, I thought someone was coming back from Iraq or something!”

Being away from American bookstores, I have to do with internet alternative history.

Are you familiar with the 1632 saga by Eric Flint? Look Here

It concerns a town in modern West Virginia that is spat like a cosmic watermelon seed into southern Germany at the height of the Thirty Years War. Many adventures ensue.

Punks.

I’ve had it since last Saturday. The Turtledove site said it would be out in August but walking past they had it on display so I snagged a copy.

I’m about 3/4 through it and it’s sweet.

heh heh heh

Picked it up yesterday, so I just started it. Jonathan Chance is right about the sweetness, though.

Maybe instead of starting new trilogies, he could get his thumb out of his ass and write the last Colonisation novel.

The last Colonization novel is due out this year or next. He’s also working on a new Videssos book.

After rereading the World War series that spawned it, I’m not that iinterested in finishing up its story. It isn’t even a quarter as interesting the second time around.

Finished it not two minutes ago!

It ends with a bang, folks. This one’s pretty good. And God help where it goes from here.

I admit, Colonization isn’t as interesting as the WorldWar series. I think that’s largely because he hadn’t planned on writing any more but was persuaded to do so later.

I wish he’d write more stand alones. ‘Ruled Britannia’ and ‘Guns of the South’ are both great books.

Eh, if you don’t like the latest Harry Turtledove book just wait 3 months for the next one. :slight_smile:

But judging by the foreshadowing of the last book, this one’s got to have some pretty awful events. Concentration camps, full blown fascism, negro re-enslavement. Yikes.

I didn’t even know there was going to be another Colonization book. Learn something knew everyday.

I’m torn on whether I like his stand alones or series better. Stand alone seems to be better written. More time was taken in not just the plot, but how it was put together.

With a series, you forfeit writting for story. But sometimes it’s worth it. I would have been upset if he didn’t have a WWII with a divided U.S.A. I’m willing to ignore the countless times how Nelle Semphroch didn’t want anyone to know about the life she used to live(Man, I’m sure glad she’s dead), in order to see tanks across the Great Plains.

I may be the only one, but I’m rooting for the South. Maybe just because I know they’re going to lose, but I want to see how. I wonder where the bomb will be dropped. And who the South’s Soviet Union will be.

Chicago = Stalingrad?

El Centro, CA = El Alamein? :smiley:

Wonder if the Confederate blitzkrieg will make it to Philadelphia this time.

I’ve been looking forward to this one since I finished Victorious Opposition. Still haven’t decided whether to get it from Amazon or pick it up at Borders.

(Aside: There should have been some fighting in the Delmarva Peninsula in the last war, since whoever controls it controls the Chesapeake – and if the Confederates had seized the Eastern Shore, they could have opened a second front towards Philly. Wonder if Turtledove just forgot about it.)

Easy, get it at Borders, that way, you don’t have to wait for it in the mail.

So, historical figures…What new real life people did y’all find in this one (not counting historical figures who first showed up in previous books, like Al Smith or Maxim Litvinov)?

Amazon says it’s scheduled to come out December 28 and is called Homeward Bound. They don’t list any other details about it however. I really enjoyed the rest of the series so I’m looking forward to that one.

Eric

[spoiler]Well, Patton, of course. And FDR (whom I think might well become President shortly).

Is John Abell based on anyone? Turtledove makes a big to-do about him everytime he shows up but I don’t recognize him.[/spoiler]

I wonder if there’s going to be any kamikazees. And if so, from what country?

It’s possible. Japan seems even more bold in this universe than it did in ours. I could easily see them employing similar techniques.