OK Go has another impressive video

I think they shot it, well sections of it, frame by frame. It would not be faster overall to do it with the camera running continuously because you would be adding DAYS to the editing. Old 16mm film cameras used to have a ‘single frame’ button to do just this sort of thing.
I love the goose.

This is making my mind melt. I dont think it is obvious from initial viewing, but this is 1 continuous take, which from this site indicates it was 18 hours long. And they had to choreograph all their movements (including their lipsync) to accommodate the timeshifting they planned. The stop motion all works on the beats of the song. While I am not a huge fan of the song itself, this video is an amazing accomplishment, in part by how subtle the effect is. Definitely their best video to date, and that is saying something.

It was awesome, but the song wasn’t very good. “This too shall pass” had a more memorable melody.

I kept waiting for them to take a chainsaw to a piano. Neat stuff.

Another amazing video of a decidedly mediocre song. Maybe they should spend more time trying to write interesting music rather than choreographing videos.

Good call, that’s exactly who they’ve been reminding me of.

The video speed effect reminded me of They Might Be Giants’ video for “Don’t Let’s Start.” They had to sing everything really slowly so that it could be sped up.

Didn’t Art of Noise do that with “Close to The Edit”?

I thought the opposite, actually. Didn’t like This Too Shall Pass, but this was okay.

I do agree, though, that the majority of their music is…unmemorable. They’ve got a few strong songs, especially on their previous album, and their treadmill video would never have taken off as it did if Here It Goes wasn’t a pretty good song, but for the most part their stuff is pretty interchangeable.

Not sure I agree. There’s tons of great songs, not nearly as many great videos IMO.

Quite the contrary, I’d say: They’re playing to their strengths. Better to have a mediocre song with an amazing video, than an OK song with a mediocre video.

I think they need an OK song with an amazing video. The two things work together.

They do have an OK song and they decided to GO with it. :smiley:

Yup, with a very similar visual style – hence my comment.

I will always click on a link to an OK Go video. I have never bought an OK Go song. I don’t dislike their music, it just leaves me . . . meh. They have certainly carved out their niche, and they seem like interesting and cool guys (based on an interview I heard on the Adam Carolla podcast). Can’t wait to see what they do next.

I don’t know, I wasn’t very impressed. Not after seeing these which were similar but better from years past:

Tony vs. Paul
human skateboard