OK more language fun: "Rapine and pillaging" vs. "Raping and pillaging"

I’ve sometimes seen the idiom said as “Rapine and pillaging”–which from a strictly grammarian standpoint is just atrocious parallelism (or lack thereof), an adjective (?) paired with a gerund. Shouldn’t it be “raping and pillaging” instead, which is usually how I’ve seen it 95% of the time? Is “rapine” even a word? Yeah, the online dictionaries have it, and it does seem to mean to loot, but the part of speech is a noun, not an adjective (such as other words which end with -ine, like riverine). “Raping” in this context may also mean to loot, may also/instead mean literal rapes (of the native female population).

So, which is it? Can both work depending on the intended meaning?

I’ve never seen the word rapine and if I did I thought it was a typo.

(Is this a whoosh? E and G are not so far away from one another on a keyboard.)

“Rapine” is a word, although rather archaic. It can be a noun or a verb. If it’s used as a noun, “rapine and pillaging” is fine grammatically since the gerund “pillaging” is also a noun. However, that said, I don’t know if I’ve ever heard or seen “rapine and pillaging”. I only know “raping and pillaging”.

IMO Raping is the specific activity, Rapine is the general phenomenon. A house was destroyed in the sack of the town, but the town was pillaged.

I’d say more ususal was “rape and pillage”.

Rapine and Pillage work better than rapine and pillaging.

For the noun ,verb difference.

Rapine is often in crossword puzzles.

Usually the clue is plunder.

I have always heard about the Rape of the Sabine women, for example, but never the Raping of the Sabine Women.

No, it was absolutely the intended word.

Shouldn’t it be “Rapine and pillage”?

I originally was confused when I first heard about the poem “The Rape of the Lock.”

Note that the specific phrase “theft and rapine” isn’t something I came up with it. It was a recurring statutory formula in England pertaining to the activities of Border Reivers.

How about, “Rapine and Pillagine”? Hey, in for a penny, in for a pound.