Ok, print ads you dislike?

There’s this series of print/magazine ads by Sketchers featuring Robert Downey Jr. that just gives me the total creeps. (I’ve seen three so far.) He looks like he’s stoned out of his mind WHILE HE’S DOING THEM or he’s being forced to do them at gunpoint as part of his parole. There’s a definite “mug shot” quality to them. I assume Sketchers is using him not so much out of respect for his work as an actor but for political and controversial reasons and it really bums me out. Whatever the thinking behind it, it sure as hell doesn’t make me want to buy shoes!

“The Captain Was Here!” Captain Morgan rum ads. LAME LAME LAME!

There are probably more, but those are my current peeves.

I don’t like ANY ads that use naked women for something that is more than 6 degrees removed for them. Like one for an mp3 player, so they show a naked woman wearing it. Stuff like that.

I’m not a prude, I’m just insulted by the idea that there’s a higher chance I’ll buy something if they can make me think that there’s a naked woman attached.

At first nothing occured to me, so I didn’t feel the need to post, but the second post triggered the memory of a serious pet peeve of mine:

The naked women. PLEASE! Make it stop, lord! :mad:

I used to into the computer gaming scene extensively – I read all the magazines, bought all the new games, etc. It was a somewhat unusual hobby for a teenage girl, but there you are… I enjoy being unusual. :wink:

But over the years I drifted further and further away from this love of mine… the sexism I encountered was only one of the reasons, but it was enough to seriously piss me off.

The countless computer game ads that depended on the sex appeal of naked women angered me to a large degree, an anger that was only slightly dampened by the occasional half naked male hottie.

The thing that infuriated me most was not the mere nakedness of it – no, it was the unspoken assumption that every reader of the magazine was male. Every. Single. One. It was the complete disrespect for my intelligence, female sensibilities, and my utter lack of desire to see naked women that made these ads annoy me even more then the infamous Daikatana fiasco.

Tanaqui

Silent, I only finished reading your post because you were talking about naked women. LOL.

Mmmmm…Nudity…

This hair spray being promoted by a football guy. Sorry I can’t be more specific, but I can’t remember anything about them. Anyway, he’s supposed to be a big ol’ manly man, and the tagline is “none of that girly stuff”. :mad:

I’ve had enough of the Got Milk ads with celebrities with milk moustaches. It’s definitely run its course, time for a new idea guys.

I’ve got to concur on the gratuitous display of women in ads. I recently got an ad in the mail that is a prime example of this phenomena. It is an ad for a special keyboard to be used with professional video editing software. The picture on the front of the postcard show a woman in cutoff shorts and a halter top laying across an enlarged picture of the keyboard. This is a product that is aimed at a professional audience!

At least with the video game magazines, I can understand the thought process behind the ads. . . Not that I condone it, certainly. Tanaqui, I also find those game magazines to be pretty offensive at times. I’m a heterosexual male, and I think those ads insult my intelligence as well. And I think they are one part of an attitude that keeps video and computer games from being more widely respected in the mainstream.

There’s an ad running right now for the video game Gauntlet: Dark Legacy. It shows four guys holding up placards of the four characters form the game. The print reads, “At last, a game you and three of your buddies can play at once.” Then in smaller print, “But one of you has to be the chick.” If this weren’t enough, one of them is telling the guy with the “chick’s” placard, “Nice rack.”

What the hell? Mrs. Mancer really enjoys playing that game and never felt she had to be the chick in it. I think I’VE played the Valyrie more than she has. She and I both were incredibly offended by this. She hasn’t touched the game since.

What is it with geek hobby ads? They are not only not inclusive of women, they have become downright EXclusive. I just don’t understand telling half of your potential market they’re not welcome.

A while back the Battletech card game had a campaign (I don’t remember the details) that again was telling women they need not apply to play. I asked a friend of mine who worked at WOTC (the company who made the game) what was up with this. His answer: “Well we did market research and it turns out not many women play the game, so we don’t have to worry about offending them.” The hell? I asked him, “If you found out not many black people played Magic (another of WOTC’s card games) would you have a card called ‘Jigaboo Spearchucker’? Would we get ‘Sheldon Kikeburg’ if you found out Jewish people didn’t play?” Of course you wouldn’t, because the offended groups would be enraged and call for action - and would probably be listened to. But of course it’s okay to tell women to go hang. (Incidentally, the original ad in question did feature a black guy as one of the “buddies” - so the ad agency at least knows how to include SOME people.)

I understand that a large part of geek companies’ audiences are 14 year old boys. But unless the ad agencies and the companies start to grow up a little, it’ll remain that way. There are many people who aren’t 14 year old boys they COULD be selling to.

Ok if you guys are going to drag in “geek” ads I know you’ve seen this one that was in the back of all the PC magazines last year. It’s for a site called (I think) GoDaddy.com or something and it features the most FREAKISH looking woman I’ve ever seen. She’s tarted up Kelly Bundy-style but is borderline-frumpy, has a homely face and is wearing the weirdest expression I’ve ever seen. She’s pointing to the reader and I assume she’s supposed to be giving a “come hither” look, but she looks like she’s having a stomach cramp or something. It HAS to be the businessowner’s sister or something who agreed to pose for free. I can’t imagine anyone CHOOSING this women to sell their product. Seriously, you see her and go “Gah!!!”

I agree with bibliophile about the “Got Milk” ads—but I’m not so much tired of them as nauseated by them. Any ad showing people with food products smeared on their face makes me want to go to bed and put the pillow over my head for a long time. The worst Milk ads are the ones featuring men with milk in their facial hair . . . Urrgghh.

Those damn Steve Madden ads depicting funhouse-mirror images of teenage girls (big head, huge eyes, huge feet, tiny torso)… If not for the huge feet, they’d all look like Little Kiddles (remember those dolls?).

Too creepy.

There’s this series of ads (I forget what they’re for, might be cigarettes, might be cologne - actually they’re usually in Men’s Health magazine, so it’s probably the latter) that feature three generations of men (i.e. man, son, grandson) usually on a boat.

They all have these freakishly white teeth, these artificially blue eyes, and these totally zombified smiles. It looks like someone with no prior experience was handed a relatively normal photo and a copy of PhotoShop and told “Here, see what you can do.”

Definitely creepy.

I’m pretty tired of Jaime Lee Curtis - both in print and on TV.

OTOH, if there actually WERE a naked woman attached…
(seriously, can you imagine the maintenance costs?)
But yeah, it’s pretty daft.

Let me second the Captain Morgan Rum ads. And “Got milk”, enough already.

I can’t stand the Got Milk? ads. Wipe your filthy mouth, second tier celebrity!

The Absolut Vodka never-ending series of “Absolut [fill in the blank]” ads. How about “Absolut - when you need to get hammered fast”

Any ad for a car or SUV in a place where it would be impossible to drive - on top of a mesa, deep in the jungles of Brazil, crossing untracked arctic tundra. Please… just tell me, will it overheat while I’m stuck in rush hour traffic?

Ditto on Jamie Lee Curtis – every time I hear her voice I change stations on the radio!

I also hate the magic weight-loss formula ads. Most of them show a pretty normal-sized person as the before picture, and then a tarted-up person as the after. And she did it in only 6 weeks! (of course, she was recompensed for her time, also did diet and exercise with it, and I’m sorry but I have trouble believing she didn’t add plastic surgery into the mix as well). And these are so often found in magazines that tout healthful ways to lose weight (shame on you, Self & Glamour!)

“I also hate the magic weight-loss formula ads.”

—I have before me a parody of those ads, from a 1931 humor magazine (those things have been running forever!).

The first photo is of a hugely obese woman, and the text runs: “Miss Susie Suskopp of Little Falls, Ohio, weighed 430 pounds on April 1, 1931. She was torn down socially, unpopular at parties, and while she could sing like Helen Morgan, no one would let her sit on a piano. Discouraged, she jumped in the Hudson River and caused the famous flood of '31. Things went from bad to worse for Susie, until one day a friend told her about SLENDERINE.”

The second photo is of a horribly emaciated woman: “On April 15, 1931, Susie Suskopp had reduced to 60 pounds, she had won the Bathing Beauty Contest at Atlanic City, and had married a millionaire. Sounds almost impossible, doesn’t it? Well, it is. SLENDERINE is not only a marvelous reducing medicine, it is nice on codfish balls, good for squeaky shoes and keeps woolen underwear from shrinking.”