OK,quotes..again

So I bought a journal specifically and exclusively for quotes. Thought provoking,funny, sad,etc. So I am asking YOU, yes you at the keyboard. To submit a quote, any quote. From The Bible to Neitzsche, Aristotle to Ozzy.

Ok I have one: “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act,but a habit”-Aristotle

“I was always embarrassed by the words sacred, glorious, and sacrifice and the expression in vain…abstract words such as glory, honor, courage or hallow were obscene beside the concrete names of villages, the numbers of roads, the names of rivers, the numbers of regiments and the dates.”
(Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms)

The Gorgon had surveyed the building again in the night, and had added the on stone face wanting; the stone face for which it had waited through about two hundred years.

It lay back on the pillow of Monsieur the Marquis. It was like a fine mask, suddenly startled, made angry, and petrified. Driven home into the heart of the stone figure attached to it, was a knife. Round the hilt was a frill of paper, on which was scrawled:

*‘Drive him fast to his tomb. This, from * JACQUES.’

-Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

Just one? :frowning: Well, ok then:

“A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.” ~ William James

Or two or three: “We shall never surrender”-Winston Churchill
“I feel your pain”-Bill Clinton

I hope that you don’t mind a passage. It’s from Carl Sagan’s The Demon-Haunted World:

“A mind stretched to a new idea never goes back to its original dimensions”

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Chinese proverb “… but even the Emperor himself cannot buy another day.”

There ain’t nothin more powerful than the odor of mendacity. - Big Daddy (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof)

Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. - Gordie Howe

All important decisions must be made on the basis of insufficient data. - Sheldon Kopp

If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how- the very best I can, and I mean to keep on doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what is said against me won’t amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, 10 angels swearing I was right would make no difference. -Abraham Lincoln

We have a great deal more kindness than is ever spoken. Maugre all the selfishness that chills like east winds the world, the whole human family is bathed with an element of love like a fine ether. How many persons we meet in houses, whom we scarcely speak to, whom yet we honor, and who honor us! How many we see in the street, or sit with in church, whom, though silently, we warmly rejoice to be with! Read the language of these wandering eye-beams. The heart knoweth.
Emerson:First Essays:Friendship

I can’t find a site or cite, but I recall from my youth:

“O pitiful race of a day, why do you make me say the obvious: that which is best is not attainable, not to be born; the next best is to die early”

Can any Dopers find the quote (IIRC, some (possibly conquering) soldiers (think ancient Greek times) had approached a sage and demanded that he answer the question 'What is Best in Life?")?

on second thought, make that:

“O pitiful race of a day, why do you make me say that which is better left unsaid: that which is best is not attainable, not to be born; the next best is to die early”.

I have no idea if this is the original quote you want. It may be paraphrased for Conan, but I found this:
“Conan, what is best in life?”
“To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentation of their women.”
- Conan The Barbarian

:dubious: *not sure I like that lamentation part *

:smiley:

“What may be done at any time will be done at no time.” —Scottish Proverb

“With all it’s sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.”

–from The Desiderata

Everybody knows if you are too careful you are so occupied in being careful that you are sure to stumble over something. - Gertrude Stein

Considering how dangerous everything is nothing is really frightening. - Gertrude Stein

What is sauce for the goose may be sauce for the gander but is not necessarily sauce for the chicken, the duck, the turkey or the guinea hen. - Alice B. Toklas

It doesn’t matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was. - Anne Sexton

The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they’re going to have some pretty annoying virtues. - Elizabeth Taylor

It is strange that the years teach us patience; that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting. - Elizabeth Taylor

It’s not the having – it’s the getting. - Elizabeth Taylor

I like the moment when I break a man’s ego. - Bobby Fischer

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress. - Marcel Proust

Any God I ever felt in church I brought in with me. - Alice Walker

I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. - D. H. Lawrence

We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. - Stephen Hawking

And because you specifically requested it…

Do I have a spiritual side? Yes. It’s called vodka and whiskey. - Ozzy

“I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them.”
-----------------------Jane Austen

“With all its hopes, dreams, promises and urban renewal
The world continues to deteriorate.”

– from Deteriorata

Compare the full texts here.

“Work is the curse of the drinking class.” – Oscar Wilde

“As sensitive and broad-minded humans, we must never allow ourselves to be in any way judgmental of the religious practices of other people, even when these people clearly are raving space loons.”- Dave Barry

“We tend to idealize tolerance, then wonder why we find ourselves infested with losers and nut cases.”- Patrick Nielsen Hayden

“If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.” – Anatole France

“Men are not disturbed by things, but the view they take of things.”

• Epictetus (55-135 A.D.)
    “What about things like bullets?”
  • Herb Kimmel, Behavioralist, Professor of Psychology, upon hearing the above quote (1981)

“Why don’t you write books people can read?”

• Nora Joyce to her husband James (1882-1941)

“In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it’s the exact opposite.”

• Paul Dirac (1902-1984)

“If stupidity got us into this mess, why can’t stupidity get us out of it?” -Winston Churchill

“It’s not so much what we don’t know that gets us in trouble, it’s all those things we know that aren’t so.” -Josh Billings

“Brevity is the soul of lingerie” -Dorothy Parker