Old School Godzilla

My cousin and I were talking about the great old Godzilla movies and we wanted to know what year was the very first Godzilla movie ever realeased in America.

wasn’t it the one where your mom fought a big hairy ape and you were the biproduct of it? ooooooooooooooh

ts2125, now that was just rude and uncalled for. I cant believe you would be so childish. Im gonna have to tell your mama about your behavior while shes givin me my 5 bucks worth tonight.

1954, IIRC.

Interestingly enough, the original Japanese production did not have the big lizard, but because Americans were unlikely to appreciate the zen irony of a movie centered around Raymond Burr, the monster scenes were produced afterwards and “cut into” the original for release in America.

Also, Rodan was gay. True story.

1956, according to my memory and the Internet Movie Data Base: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0197521

It was released in 1954 in Japan (the same year as the Castle Bravo test and the Fukuryu Maru incident, not so coincidentally, I believe), but it came out two years later in the US.

Elucidator: hilarious response. I note that they did the same thing in 1985.
You didn’t ask, but I’ll say it anyway: If you get a change, watch “Gigantis, the Fire Monster” (AKA – I kid you not – “Godzilla Raids Again”) This is the rarely-seen Second Godzilla Movie. He’s got a LOT more teeth in it than in any other Godzilla flick.