Older Dopers: What new musical artists do you listen to?

This one is for Dopers of a certain age…

We’re often accused of being stuck in the '60s, '70s, and/or '80s in terms of our musical tastes… but it doesn’t mean we can’t appreciate the new stuff, right?

So what new musical artists (if any) do you listen to?

Note: By “new” I mean that the artist’s first album was released in the 2010s.

I like several of the songs/videos Woodkid has on YouTube.

Bought The HU’s debut album.

I’m not sure I count as “old”, though the vast, vast majority of music I listen to is from artists whose first release was in the 1950s through 1990s. That said, I do really enjoy the following newer artists:

• The Ultra Electric Mega Galactic, a space rock group whose first release was in 2013 (but whose members include those from bands formed much earlier)
  • Vivienne Wilder, a singer-songwriter from my hometown; first release seems to be in 2012
  • The Dead South, a bluegrass group also from my hometown; formed in 2012

Can we count Miley Cyrus after she stopped being Hannah Montana? If not then I’d say Greta Van Fleet.

I like some stuff by Umphrey’s McGee, Tauk & a couple other so called ‘jam bands’. Don’t know if that would qualify as new. It’s newer than the 60’s :slight_smile:
Other than that, I don’t have a radio but what little I have heard isn’t at all impressive. I automatically discount any ‘celebrity artist’ - I have a thing about manufactured artists.
I’m sure there is some good stuff out there, I just can’t be bothered to sort through the crap. I’ve always disliked pop music regardless of the era. OK, there are some great tunes, but I speak in general terms. With that in mind, it doesn’t appear this generation has a lot going for them. Nothing that hasn’t already been done. Most of the ‘cool’ kids seem to prefer the older stuff as well. My tastes run a lot towards jazz for the past several years, so maybe I don’t qualify to add my 2 cents.

I tend to prefer females, so Adele, Paloma Faith, Rita Ora, Billie Ellish.

Being early GenX I might skew slightly younger than who you might be asking but the short list includes:
And in no particular order:
Adele, Dua Lipa, Black Keys, the Dead South, Jonas Brothers, Apocalyptica, Shaky Graves, Greta Van Fleet, Halsey, Breaking Benjamin, Claypool Lennon Delirium, Post Modern Jukebox, Alabama Shakes, and a whole bunch more…

Bruno Mars. I went to see him live in Vegas in 2019.

I’m 55; most of my musical tastes seem to still be solidly lodged in my grade school and high school years.

That said, there are some new artists that I really like, including:

• Of Monsters and Men
  • Fitz and the Tantrums
  • Nathiel Rateliff (with and without the Night Sweats)
  • Greta Van Fleet

Another Gen-x checking in.
I’ll second Alabama Shakes and Post Modern Jukebox.
Also:
Nathaniel Rateliff, Shovels and Rope, Courtney Barnett, St Paul and Broken Bones, and many others.

Oh I forgot about Nathaniel Rateliff ! I’ll also add Barns Courtney, Chet Faker, and Brad Paisley. I’ve really come around to his skills with a guitar and I like his songs for the most part.

Born in 1970 so call me old if it suits you.

I’ll admit to liking most of Pentatonix’s work. I’ll be honest here, I don’t give a fig if they’re autotuned beyond all reason and common sense. The finished product is mighty impressive work to my ears.

I’ve been in and out of the music/radio business for decades, do I tend to keep up just out of habit. Probably the best source for what’s current is Seattle’s KEXP, where I used to work. They have the best recording studio I’ve ever seen in a radio station and put out lots of live compilation CDs of visiting artists.

I was going to say Sabaton, but their first few albums were released before 2010. So the answer id “None.”

I’m 60 and I’m happy to say that I have liked many new artists all along. When I go to visit my brothers though, I am sucked right back to 70s rock even when I don’t want to be. I would think they must get bored listening to the same old sound. I like to listen to The Current (Minnesota Public Radio station that can be streamed) because they play a little bit of a lot of stuff and have introduced me to fabulous artists. Currently popular likes are Lizzo, Jade Bird, Dua Sala, Monica LaPlante, Disclosure, and many more.

By the time something is new to me, it is generally old. I fail that way. But I have 2 for you:
Shovels & Rope

Shinyribs

Another Adele and Bruno Mars.
(and I’m going to check out some of these mentioned in the thread)

Vampire Weekend did release one album before 2010, so they don’t officially qualify. But their latest album Father of the Bride, released in 2019 is really good.

Born in 1965. I suppose these days I qualify.

I quite like **The Belle Briagade’**s self titled album. Diane Birch started just before 2010, but most of her work has been since then. I’m a big fan. Daft Punk is another borderline one, but I feel compelled to include them. I was impressed with Billie Eilish’s album. Oh, and I can’t believe I almost forgot Esperanza Spaulding.

Other names:
Kacey Musgraves
Marissa Nadler
Anoushka Shankar
The Winery Dogs
Wave Mechanics Union

Don’t get me wrong, Daft Punk are great and I love them, but they’re a classic act by now, being around since the nineties.