Omnibus Religious Fucks in the NEWS

Ah, I see, thanks.

Of course i meant “it’s ok if a Republican does it”. So many context clues to get it right, yet i still botched it up. Sigh.

It occurs to me that IOKWARDI and IOKIARDI are both in common use (and some quickie googling confirms this), so I guess that word in the middle could be “if” or “when”. So I guess we could also just as well use IOKWAPDI or IOKIAPDI.

Anyhow, bonus points for @Maus_Magill and @duality72 . :slight_smile:

Solved the mystery. The one in Torrance is just the school, which was opened in 1963 as an annex (that I never knew existed), but took over the entire school in 1990. The former parish school in Redondo Beach is now a preschool.

Only one St. James parish, though.

Either form gets the point across, but I do personally prefer the IOKIARDI version for the whimsical pronunciation in my head (eye-oak-ee-ar-dee).

If it helps, I attend St Paul’s Episcopal in Franklin, TN. Just twenty miles away is St Paul’s Episcopal in Murfreesboro. That naming decision confuses me.

And now I mentally pronounce it that way, too.

Inspired by this recent weirdness she could sell Nun’s farts.

There is a stretch of Torrance the reaches the sea. Do you know the Hollywood Riviera? It’s actually Torrance.

Teachers in West Virginia “accidentally” make some students attend a supposedly optional revival on campus.

TIL that God requires semaphore.

He is older than dirt - you can’t expect his hearing to be all that good any more.

It’s just to guide the angels.

:rofl:

I was raised Catholic, so it was a real shock to me when I was sent to public school and encountered :raised_hands: whenever people announced they would be praying. (This was in the rural south, in case you were wondering.)

By contrast, the people where I work like to bow their heads and close their eyes while praying.

I was disappointed to discover that “speaking in tongues” does not mean someone suddenly starts speaking in fluent Urdu or Basque. Just gibberish, with the hands in the mandatory above-the-head position.

Never mind.

Yeah. That’s how I felt when I discovered those snake-handler churches milk (Is that the right term for getting the critter to release its venom?) the snakes before they do their funky dance with said snakes.

< Commercial announcer voiceover > “We secretly replaced Pastor Bob’s empty snakes with full ones. Let’s see if he’s saved.” </ Cav >

< We hear Pastor Bob’s wife’s inner thoughts as a voiceover > Bob never asks for a second snake-bite at home. < / >

I remember hearing a piece by a comedian/evangelical atheist who witnessed one such ceremony; the preacher was a bit inexperienced, and failed to milk the critter first. (He also noted that rattlesnakes are not church-going creatures by their nature.)

Hate to break it to you, but your coworkers aren’t devout, they’re just sneaking a nap.

Where do you you work that people pray during the day?